How To Get Good Grades This Semester

How To Get Good Grades This Semester

Start 2017 with a bang, college students.

46
How To Get Good Grades This Semester
www.flickr.com

During my first semester of college, I noticed that a lot of people seemed to be having difficulty keeping their grades high. Often they were struggling because of reasons that could easily have been avoided. I had a lot to deal with as well, of course, and it wasn't any easier for me. Still, I finished the semester with straight As, while my classmates more frequently received lower grades; some only barely passed their classes. Seeing this gap has inspired me to share some of my own study tips and strategies, as we go into the next semester. Hopefully it will help somebody out.

Learn how to learn.

I've found that much of my success stems from knowing my own learning process, as well as my strengths and potential weaknesses. Knowing how your brain works will give you the ability to discover what learning methods stick with you, what you require to be productive, and what is most likely to distract you. If you don't already know how you learn best, consider your past experience. Do you process material best by seeing, hearing, or doing? Are you a fast writer, or would you benefit more from typing your notes, if possible? Are you easily motivated by food or other rewards? What is most likely to cause you to procrastinate, and how can you keep those habits to a minimum? These are all important questions to consider as you work out your study method.

Be prepared.

Some people require lots of organization in order to be productive, and some require very little. Experiment with the amount of various office supplies you might need, if it helps, and find out what works for you. Try to obtain whatever makes you the most comfortable before the semester starts, if at all possible, so that you have less distractions during study time later on. The same goes for any books required for classes; try to order them a bit before you need them, if you can.

Manage your time.

This is a difficult task for many people. The best way I've found to approach it is to figure out what your schedule for the semester is going to look like as soon as you can; write down class times, free periods, due dates, and anything else that might be important. Once you have the overall view, create weekly plans where you can go more in depth about what needs to be accomplished and when, making sure to plan for interruptions (especially if you're a procrastinator, like I am). Prioritize the projects that are due soonest, or that will take the most time, according to need. The key is to find a blend between self-discipline and flexibility, without allowing one to overwhelm the other.

STUDY.

Speaking of self-discipline, I cannot stress this one enough. Yes, you do need to open and read that book. Yes, you do need to take notes. For some classes, you may even need to rewrite those notes. Yes, you are going to have to be strict with yourself some days in order to get things done properly and on time. The hard truth is that sacrifices are going to have to be made if you want to be successful, no matter what you're doing. You can't get something for nothing. You may be able to pass without studying properly, but it is extremely unlikely that you'll be able to get an A that way, at least not for every class. You're going to have to get your head in the game if you want the best results.

Get help.

If you are having trouble with a subject or an assignment, ask your professor. The majority of them want to help you. It's what they get paid for. If you're unfortunate enough to have a professor that doesn't want to help you, or who is difficult for you to understand, there's always someone else you can ask for help. There may be someone of higher authority that you could speak to, or even a peer who's doing better in the class. You could get a tutor if you need one, or speak to a family member to get their opinion if you're stuck. Sometimes you just need someone to talk to to get your mind off things for a while. Whatever you do, though, don't ignore the problem, because it likely won't go away on its own. It doesn't hurt to ask for help, no matter how silly your problem may seem.

Do not give up.

Sometimes it can seem like there's no human way to accomplish everything that's on your plate. Just remember that no matter what it feels like at the moment, you can push through it if you keep at it. No assignment is impossible, even if it's in a particularly difficult subject for you. Don't lie to yourself and say you're not smart enough, or you don't have the skill, or there isn't enough time. You can do this, and you can do it well. Don't settle for average. Also, make sure you get a good night's sleep. A little rest can put your mind in an entirely new perspective.

Above all, do not overthink this. You've likely been told for a long time how difficult college is, and how hard it is to get good grades. Anyone that has drilled that into you has done you a disservice, because once you have that idea in your head, it is incredibly tempting to give up. I've seen a lot of people get average grades or even fail their classes because they didn't apply themselves as much as they could have, and often the root of the problem was their belief that they didn't have a chance to begin with. Don't do this to yourself. Just do your best, and success will eventually find you.