How I Keep Even My Acne-Prone Skin Clear AF

It's hard to keep your skin clear year-round, but these are my keys to success!

73

My skin used to be my biggest insecurity. I had very oily, red, acne-covered skin that prompted middle and high school bullies to call me pizza face. It was a rough time, but over the past two years, I have completely cleared my skin.

Obviously, I still have the occasional breakout, but this has helped my overall complexion drastically.

New face washing routine.

When my acne first started around age 12, I would only wash my face at night. It seemed like the right thing to do, it washed off all the dirt accumulated during the day. However, I would not wash my face in the morning before putting on a full face of makeup. HUGE mistake on my part. Even though you wash off all the dirt at night, you can accumulate dirt and sweat while sleeping overnight too, so you should try and wash your face twice a day. Mind you, I had very oily skin, if you have dry skin this may not be the best routine for you.

Moisturize!

As a young teen, I thought since I had oily skin I shouldn't moisturize my skin. That is the worst decision you can make! Very often, the reason you are oily is that your skin is compensating for the lack of moisture in your skin, so not moisturizing is actually making it worse. I was surprised that when I started moisturizing, I was far less oily! Thinner moisturizers have been better for me since thick ones tend to make the skin feel heavier.

Drink lots of water!

When I was a freshman in high school, I barely drank any water. Not only is that bad for your overall health, but your skin suffers from dehydration too. Over the past two years, I have started drinking between three quarts to a gallon of water per day. This may seem like a lot, but with a 32-ounce reusable water bottle and a straw lid, it makes drinking water much easier. You could also try unsweetened, flavored water if you're not a big fan of drinking plain water.

Silk Pillowcase

This is quite the investment, but if you truly want to see your skin improve, it is worth the money! Silk pillowcases are great for skin and hair health and ever since switching to one, I have seen a great improvement in not only my acne but the redness on my face too. Cotton can sometimes irritate the face, especially if you are a stomach sleeper like myself. Silk pillowcases are smooth and make sleeping more comfortable, but more importantly, make your skin and hair health improve.

Skincare is different for everyone, and these things may not work for you, but maybe it at least sparks some inspiration for you to start a new skincare routine or just treat your skin for a day! I wish you all a summer of clear skin and smiles.

Editor's note: The views expressed in this article are not intended to replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.