How to Find and Hire a Ruby Developer

How to Find and Hire a Ruby Developer

Ruby Developer

108
How to Find and Hire a Ruby Developer

The main purpose of this article is to help you hire a developer. First, you decide who exactly you need and whether you should include Ruby in your stack.

Ruby and Ruby on Rails. What is it and why?

Ruby is an object-oriented programming language that is used to write the service part of sites and create web applications. It has an open license and works on all operating systems.

Ruby on Rails - or "rails" in the environment of programmers - is a framework for Ruby for developing web applications. The language has straightforward semantics and a fairly low entry threshold, and the framework significantly speeds up and simplifies programming. As a result, the programmer does not “reinvent the wheel” so he can use a set of ready-made solutions for the most popular tasks.

Why Ruby is popular and in demand

In short, the language is aimed specifically at developers. Writing on it is fast and easy. We choose it because:

• Ruby makes it easy to program financial and business logic.
  • Ruby, like Ruby on Rails, is an open-source project with a growing community of programmers. You can use ready-made solutions, copy individual functions and make changes to suit your needs.
  • Ruby is not tailored to a specific area of business or functionality, the range of possibilities for its use is extremely wide.
  • Ruby saves development time. Ruby on Rails keeps it even more. For example, the same problem can be solved with 100 lines of code in Java and only 10 lines in Ruby.
  • Thanks to the dynamic typing system, the code is more compact and readable.
  • The thoughtful syntax makes code easy to write. As our developers say, writing Ruby and RoR code is like speaking English.
  • The language is constantly evolving and improving thanks to an active community and core team.

Ruby also has disadvantages that you should consider when choosing a language for your stack. First, Ruby can be much more resource and memory intensive than competing languages. Secondly, it is less popular than its competitors PHP or Python: it is quite difficult to find a Ruby programmer at the Middle + level, and such developers are more expensive.

Where Ruby and Ruby on Rails are used

One of the advantages of Ruby is we called a wide range of its applications. It really is. Notable Ruby projects include:

• Github - a repository for developers
  • Twitter - social network (was written in Ruby in the early years of operation)
  • Basecamp is a service for teamwork and project management
  • Goodreads is a social network for those who love to read.
  • Airbnb - rental service
  • SoundCloud - service for listening to music

Where to look for Ruby developers?

• Websites with vacancies and resumes

If you are looking for a developer for the first time, you should start by looking at other vacancies in Ruby and RoR programmers or you can simply hire a Ruby on Rails Development Company.

• Chats and messengers

Basically, the community now lives in telegram. The two largest channels are rubyjob, a channel with vacancies, and ruby-lang, a programmer chat where you can post a job. Ruby has a very active community and a live chat or channel can always be found.

• Conferences

Where else to look for a good Ruby developer, if not in a crowd of several hundred Ruby programmers? If you are looking for a developer or a whole team for a long time, it makes sense to become a partner or sponsor of the conference, put up your booth and increase your audience reach.

• Get in touch with recruiters

An option for those who are looking for developers for many years and plan that they will make a career in your company. But you need to be prepared for the fact that the services of private recruiters or recruiting agencies can cost as much as a few developer salaries.

• Outsource a project

One of the most unusual ways for many businessmen. It would seem that one or more programmers work for you, but are listed in an outsourcing company, and you pay the company, not them. If you choose the right agency, you are guaranteed to get a qualified specialist, you do not have to read articles like this yourself and spend time on interviews. And you will not need to think about project management: you will get an already established team, which will be managed by an experienced team leader.