How to Feel Great in a Year Full of Ups and Downs

When life feels overwhelming and like you need a break, you may need to add a little luxury to your life. Here are 10 ways to treat yourself.

72791
 Year Full of Ups and Downs

Life is hard all on its own, and the last year has many people searching for ways to put some joy back into their lives when so much of their lives feel very out of control. When we think luxury we usually think expensive, but luxury can also be a state of mind and enjoying the simple things in life or saving up to buy something of quality. Here are ten easy steps you can take to having a more luxurious life.

Simplify Your Schedule

Everyone is always so busy, and it is almost as if people take pride in juggling a full plate. This may be fine for seasons, but after a while it may get old. You find yourself worn out and having trouble fitting in the things that are the most important to you. By simplifying your schedule, you start saying no to the things that you feel obligated to do, every social gathering, or maybe it is a good thing but you need to cut back. This will give you more time to focus on the things that are most important to you or even catch up on a list of to-dos that are always hanging over your head. You might find yourself more content being at home reading a good book or catching up on your favorite show.

Take a Break From Technology

As a society, everything is online. We are constantly surrounded by our phones, computers, television, and music. Our minds are constantly stimulated and many do not realize how overwhelmed they are until they turn it all off. Getting some peace and quiet and settling down with your thoughts may get you some inner peace you did not even realize that you needed. Many struggle with depression and anxiety and studies have shown that social media can cause these feelings. It may also be beneficial to give your mind a break and go to bed early for once and get a great night's sleep instead of staying up scrolling half the night. Many people have a hard time falling asleep because their minds are always on.

Break Your Bad Habit

This one may seem kind of odd on a list of how to make your life more luxurious, but when you break a bad habit, not only does it improve your life but it also gives you a feeling of self-satisfaction. Think about something that you would like to personally improve on, no matter how big or small, and work on it everyday. Maybe you want to make a major life change or maybe you would like to be more tidy. No matter what improvement you are making to your everyday life, you will feel more confident and may even start making more positive changes.

Buy Something You Love

Perhaps you have had your eye on something that is a little more than you would spend, but is a good quality item that you would love to own. Even if you have to save up, get yourself what you have been wanting. Maybe this is a bigger item like a car that you have wanted for years, a nice piece of jewelry, or as simple as a new skincare line, a nice outfit, or a piece of furniture. Chances are this specific item will bring joy and excitement to the mundane everyday.

Focus on Getting Healthy

When you are taking care of yourself, you feel good about yourself. You will have more energy and motivation to get things done and have a greater sense of accomplishment knowing you are taking time and energy to better yourself. Health is a broad term that encompasses many different aspects from physical, mental, emotion, or spiritual health. Getting healthy for you might mean getting a gym membership and eating healthier, or maybe going to therapy, setting healthy boundaries, or practicing religion to bring peace into your life. Many of these things go hand in hand especially if you have been too depressed to focus on your activity or healthy eating. Getting healthier in just one of these areas may have a ripple effect and improve other areas of your health. Sometimes taking supplements to help your mental health is a good place to start and many have had success with products like cbd oil. Exercise is also a great way to blow off steam and release endorphins.

Try Something New

If you have ever made a bucket list, there are things you want to do but you may not be given the opportunity very often or maybe you want to learn a new skill but have not made the time. Whether you are looking to do something fun and adventurous or add a new skill or hobby to your life, making time to do this is important. Make a goal to mark one thing off your list every year or set aside a certain amount of time to learn a new language, instrument, or creative skill.

Focus on Your Relationships

When we get busy, sometimes the people we care the most about get put on the backburner. Making more time for people that add value, love, and joy to your life will instantly bring you both happiness. Maybe they live in your house, but you have become more like roommates or perhaps it's visiting a grandparent or a friend you have not seen in a while. Pouring into others and being around people you enjoy can improve your mental health and create happy memories.

Take a Time Out

If you are in a crazy season of life juggling many different responsibilities but cannot necessarily get rid of any of them, maybe just taking a break whether that is part of a day or a couple days will give you the energy to keep going. Allow yourself to take a nap, take a nice bath, take a day off, or do something fun if you are feeling burnt out and exhausted. Little breaks whether they are mental or physical can help us destress and reenergize to do the things we need to do.

Cook a Fancy Meal at Home

Eating out is nice, but maybe you do not have the money to splurge on a fancy dinner or perhaps you love to cook and just never make time. Try a new recipe with ingredients that you do not normally use. Try something exotic like caviar or expensive tequila. Taking time to create and share a meal with someone is not only a fun experience but exciting as you taste something you made.

Splurge on Yourself

Nothing beats pampering yourself a little when you want to add some luxury to your life. Book a spa day, go on a shopping spree, take yourself out to a nice dinner, or hire a maid. Do something that is going to make you feel more relaxed and de-stress that is outside of your normal routine.

Adding Luxury to Your Life

As you can see there are several ways to add a little luxury to your life and some will not cost you a penny. It's about finding joy in the little things and taking time for yourself and those that mean the most to you. Doing things that you make you feel special and cared for no matter how big or small will improve your mood and your life.