How To Feel Better

How To Feel Better

A list of ideas to help you get back to being yourself.

23
How To Feel Better

As a college student, I find myself stressed for what seems to be twenty-four hours of the day. When I am not stressing over test, exams, assignments, or essays, I can almost guarantee that I am upset or feeling down about something else. Even during breaks away from school, I often find myself feeling a bit gloomy and sometimes I am stuck in a mood that I cannot quite shake off. I have taken the time to sit down and come up with a little list to help people who are not feeling quite themselves. This list is composed of things I do when I am not feeling like myself. If you find yourself feeling down, try one of these techniques and maybe, just maybe, it will help get you back in your groove.

1. Free Write

Allowing yourself to sit down and write about whatever you want for as long as you want. This is especially beneficial when you want to rant and let off some steam but do not have anybody to rant to, or do not want to rant to anyone as though you might feel like you are a burden (I can assure you that you are not). This type of writing allows you to keep your writings and thoughts anonymous and you can get as personal and emotional as your little heart desires.

2. Listen To Music

I cannot express how much music has helped me throughout my years. The number of genres and songs that exist in this world baffles me. You have what seems to be unlimited options and this can keep you feeling refreshed. Listen to throwbacks. Listen to oldies. Listen to the song that makes you cry. Listen to the song that makes you dance. Listen to music. Music has a history of alleviating stress while releasing dopamine, resulting in you feeling better.

3. Watch A Movie

Watching a movie can give you a mental break and just let you relax for a while. Movies are a great way to keep your mind occupied and allow you to focus on something other than whatever it is that has you in a mood. Movies can bring out so many emotions you may have. Movies are a great way to relieve stress and allow you to really dive into your imagination and creative state.

4. Sleep

Taking a nap or sleeping can help relax and calm you down. Sleep is like a little unconscious break from all of the stress that is engulfing your life. Sleeping is a great way to take a break from the reality of stress and let yourself wake up feeling refreshed and different. Sleep is a beautiful thing that is beneficial to your health, which may also help you feel better or more relaxed.

6. Enjoy The Outdoors

Watch the sunrise. Watch the sunset. Go on a walk. Spending time outside is good for your body. Allow yourself to bask in the feeling of fresh air and the environment you are in. Drink coffee and enjoy the early mornings. Wrap yourself in a blanket and sit outside and watch the sun say goodnight. Listen to the birds and soak in the sunlight.

5. Go Pet Some Dogs

Dogs make everything better. That is a fact. Do not argue with me. If you are down, go find some dogs and pet them. You will feel better immediately. I promise you. Dogs are furry lil angels on four legs who wag their tails and shower you with kisses.