I Was Scammed By My Family And This Is How I Coped

The one thing you never thought was possible

79

This is possibly one of the hardest things to go through in life. Think of the worse possible thing your family could do behind your back and this circumstance is a million times worse than that. I might as well cut right to the chase:

My own family committed credit card fraud in my name.

Yes, you heard it right. I won't get down to the specifics as I still have an ounce of dignity to withhold said family members' name from this article, but the point of this is to tell you that it can be caused by ANYONE, even your own family who you so deeply trust.

The funny part is, I technically knew about it but for all the wrong reasons. The information given to me was shape-shifted into a way that was somewhat truthful and actually a lie all in the same sentence. I was told I was an activated user. That I had just as much control over the account as they (my family member) did. That was in fall of last year. Fast forward to now where I recently just looked at the 4 digit credit card debt that so magically appeared within my credit score documents.

I was scared.

I was scared, deeply confused, and concerned. All this time I was in college this was the last thing I had to worry about. I had my own priorities: college tuition, phone bills and car insurance. I called up the bank companies and when they asked for my 'account number' where I found out the most heartbreaking news.

The account was only in my name, but I wasn't the one using it

At this point you already get what happens, but what you don't comprehend are the emotions running through your body when something like this happens. Your heart hurts from the betrayal caused by family; inducing your overall sadness. Your blood boils to what feels like the point of no return.

But strangely enough, I still had the patience for forgiveness. I heard their side of the story and from what seemed like hours I realized that it wasn't in their best intention for what they had done. They promised that they would aid me in helping fix my debt soon enough, and now it is all apart of the waiting process.

This was probably one of the most heart wrenching things that could have ever been done by a family member. I thank myself for my own subtle reaction to this circumstance as I feel like any other person would flip bricks and make a big deal about it because in reality it is a big deal. Anyone can grab ahold of your information and rip it from under your feet in an instant; it's THAT easy.

One thing I suggest is to stay calm in any sort of this situation. A frantic brain will not get you anywhere towards solving the problem. Be cautious and alert with your friend/family member and try to find the cause behind them attempting to steal your identity. It could be a simple misconception but always be open and optimistic before placing the blame on them.

This unfortunate event is becoming more increasingly common among people all across the nation. Although it can be prevented, all you can do is stay alert and be aware that it can happen to anyone. If it does happen to you: be calm, stay collected, and the rest will come easy.