How To Convince People You're A Fully-Functioning Adult

You ever hear of the phrase, "Fake it till you make it?"

35
Danny Norton

For the most part, we all have that one “adult” friend who always seems like they have their life together, who we go to for advice on how to format a job resume, who we trust to give us good advice when friend problems come up, and who we generally see as a solid role-model. Other times, we might be forced into the role of that friend even after a poorly-planned night of partying. Here are a few ways you can come off as being “mature” when really, you feel just as lost as anyone else.

1. Stay on top of your work

It’s hard, especially in college, to keep up with everything you have to do—especially when professors seem to have the psychic ability to plan and assign all of their papers and have them due at the same time. You might not even want to do your work until the day before it’s due, and it’s really important that you not do that. But, assuming you have, try triaging. Figure out what you need to do best on and what will take the most time and get that done first. If possible, try to do assignments when they’re assigned so you don’t have to struggle later.

2. Wake up early and go to bed early

You might suffer from FOMO when it comes to going to bed early—but you feel a lot better when you’re going to bed around 10 and waking up for your requisite 8 a.m. class than you do going to bed around 3 in the morning and doing the same thing. People correlate waking up early and doing things early in the day with being on top of things too, and sometimes it’s easier to get more done.

3. Dress well

Or at least, as well as you can on a budget. You don’t have to do it every day, and you don’t have to wear business casual out to dinner with friends, but if you’re going to a restaurant maybe don’t wear the same ratty t-shirt you’ve had since ninth grade. Update your closet and get rid of the things that don’t fit you anymore—physically or style-wise.

4. Drink more water

There are a few reasons I say this: one, you’ll look a lot more energized when you’re hydrated, two, if you get a reusable water bottle you’ll be spending less on beverages when you go to the dining hall, and three, it’s just smart. Maybe you like artisanal water, in which case, Fiji always looks kind of chic, but otherwise it’s not super necessary. Also, cold water can wake you up in the middle of the day without coffee jitters.

5. Know how to leave a tip

Better yet, if you can’t afford to tip your server, you can’t afford to go out for food, so keep in mind what kind of budget you’re keeping and whether or not you’re spending more than you’re making. I carry around a tip chart in my wallet because I’ve gotten really slow at mental math, but generally speaking, expect to tip at least 15 percent of what the total is (and don’t forget that there’s tax when you go to a restaurant).

6. Clean your room regularly

And I mean like, at least once a week. Linoleum floors build up a lot of dirt really quickly, and if you’re not on top of cleaning it, it gets gross. Nobody likes hanging out in a pigsty, and if you can keep your room organized (or at least, organized when people stop by), people are going to think that you’re a pretty put-together person. Take your trash out before it starts overflowing, too.

7. Keep a planner

I’m bad at remembering to do things, so to combat that (and not miss appointments), I keep a good planner. Some people might warn against over planning, but I think that that’s garbage: Know what you have to do on any specific day, and set firm deadlines for yourself. It goes back to that whole triaging thing with getting assignments done. You’ll feel better with a rough idea of what you have to do during a given day than wandering aimlessly with 50 papers to write.

8. Eat more fruit

Throw a banana or an apple on your plate with lunch. You probably need more fiber in your diet anyway, and fruit usually tastes better than vegetables. For that matter, try to eat healthier overall; I like chocolate, but maybe things like that are better when you’re getting them occasionally rather than every day.

9. Learn how to fill out a check

You probably won’t have to use them very often since most places accept credit and debt more often than not, but if you’re with someone and they need a helping hand paying their phone bill, it can be more convenient for you to give them a check—especially if you don’t usually carry cash on you.

10. When all else fails, pretend

You don’t always have to have your life together, but when you pretend to for long enough, sometimes that becomes the norm. Accept that you’ll make mistakes along the way and pick yourself back up again (and hopefully don’t make them again). Sometimes if we act like what we want to be, eventually we’ll become it.