4 Ways To Celebrate More Sustainably

4 Ways To Celebrate More Sustainably

With last-call parties before the return of school and the never-ending birthdays, let this be the mini guide you didn't know you needed.

12
4 Ways To Celebrate More Sustainably
Carolyn Barrington

With all of our daily happenings, sustainability isn't always on the forefront of our minds. In between work and school, I always like to look for new ways to reduce my footprint, and have picked up a couple tricks of the trade in my pursuit. Whether you're hosting a birthday party, graduation reception, or what have you, these four simple tips will help put your mind at ease when it comes to celebrating the special day in an environmentally-friendly way!

1. No more releasing balloons!

https://pixabay.com/photos/balloons-sky-love-blue-romance-892806/

When I was little, I always imagined there to be a ceiling in the sky where all of the balloons that were released remained for eternity. Unfortunately, this childhood fantasy is not the case. AT ALL. Every balloon released into the air eventually makes its way back down, and a lot of the time it's into the ocean or another place where wildlife wouldn't be able to differentiate it between a hearty meal and something that could threaten their lives. Regardless of whether or not an animal finds the balloon appealing along the way, these fallen balloons pollute the environment and add up quickly. On another note, finding decorations that you can recycle or even reuse next time around can not only be cost effective, but the world will be ever so grateful!

2. Cut down on material!

https://pixabay.com/photos/jug-water-desire-boiling-hot-3464829/

Buying individual bottles of water or cans of soda may be convenient, but buying in bulk, providing filtered water, or making your own beverages to keep in drink dispensers can save you money in the long run, and doesn't overflow your recycling bin, either! Encouraging guests to write their name on and reuse their cups can also help cut down on waste!

3. Keep the bags, boxes, and tissue paper from your gifts!

This saves some of that hard-earned money, too! For as long as I can remember, my mom has kept a stash of gift bags from every occasion, of every color, and (surprise, friends!) I haven't had to buy any such supplies in years.

4. Ditch the paper invites!

https://www.pexels.com/photo/two-women-wearing-red-and-white-sports-bras-sitting-near-brown-wall-bricks-863950/

There are some events that wouldn't be the same to you if you didn't send out invites in the mail, such as weddings or graduations, but, if possible, look to technology! There are so many cool websites available to personalize your invites, and once your guest receives it, they can still save it to their device and keep it for as long as they'd like!

Thank you for looking out for Mother Nature!