Irish For A Day

Every year when March 17 rolls around, it seems like everyone in the U.S. suddenly becomes Irish. No matter their true heritage, everyone claims to have some connection to the far off emerald isle. If you’re wondering how to make your upcoming St. Patrick’s day as authentic as possible take a look at these helpful tips. You’ll be behaving like a true son or daughter of Erin before you know it!

Never call St. Patrick’s Day, “St. Patty’s Day”

This is the one thing that annoys me the most! In Ireland, the nickname for Patrick is Paddy and the nickname for Patricia is Patty. We’re not celebrating St. Patricia, it’s St. Patrick, so don’t let a one nickname change the whole holiday.

Don’t confuse shamrocks and clovers

Shamrocks are all over during St. Patrick’s, but don’t be that person who confuses them with clovers. They are very similar, but only clovers have four leaves, never shamrocks.

Eat as much potatoes as possible

The Irish are known for many things, but one of the most famous is potatoes. Whether they are mashes, baked or in a soup, potatoes are an Irish staple, along with corn beef and a glass of Jameson. Don’t bother eating anything else that day, it would be an insult to the Irish people, after all.

Everything you wear should be green

Ever heard of the saying, “If you’re not wearing a bit of green on St. Patrick’s Day, you’ll get pinched.” To avoid this, make sure everything you wear is green. I mean everything, head to toe. Add in a couple of those “kiss me, I’m Irish” tattoos, an Irish flag and you’ll be good to go.

Dye your hair red

What’s more Irish than being a ginger?! Nothing, that’s what! Nothing says, “Hey, I’m Irish,” more than some auburn hair and a face full of freckles. Take it from a true Irish ginger. If your hair is red and people see you on St. Patrick’s Day, they will go insane! Seriously, it’s like they’ve found the gold at the end of the rainbow.

If you follow these tips and throw in a couple of “Top of the mornings” and “Erin Go Bragh” in conversation, you may even fool a true Irishman. It’s a sure-fire way for a more than successful St. Patrick’s Day.