How To Tell The Difference Between A Friend And A Drinking Buddy

There's a vast difference.

1942
The Odyssey

We all know those people who think they’re our good friend. You know, the ones we only really, truly talk to on Saturday nights when we don’t want to take the night on solo. The ones who don’t really contribute anything of substance to our lives. They're called drinking buddies, and they might think they are your friends, but they are not really your friends.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F04%2F08%2F635957543936489541-1096503056_tumblr_mwl0vg1bBr1qh9nffo1_500.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=943&h=e4b1f11af5cb36ed890314a2ae80a5a1b3ef0ddbc0f5b0d1e746037839c639ef&size=980x&c=1545380581 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F04%252F08%252F635957543936489541-1096503056_tumblr_mwl0vg1bBr1qh9nffo1_500.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D943%26h%3De4b1f11af5cb36ed890314a2ae80a5a1b3ef0ddbc0f5b0d1e746037839c639ef%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1545380581%22%7D" expand=1]

1. They ask you to go out like, all the time.

They aren’t those friends that are going to encourage you to stay in and study for that exam, or congratulate you for real accomplishments, but they will cheer you on if you chug a beer faster than them. They don’t really care if your boyfriend cheats on you, or if you bombed that huge presentation. They just kinda want to know who’s buying the first round, and which guy you call dibs on.

2. They don't contribute much to your life

Sure, you’ve had a really few good times here and there, but that’s as far as it goes. They don’t really contribute any positivity, (except for the obnoxious laughs when you’ve had too many) or encouragement to your life. But they do make a good wingman or wingwoman.

3. They’re disposable

There’s a difference between severing a relationship with a friend versus your drinking pal. When you lose a good friend, you feel their absence looming over your day-to-day for a while. But drinking buddies, whether you want to believe it or not, are disposable. Sure, you’ve had great times and rough mornings, but you’ll find that your life won’t be even close to empty without them.

4. You'll most likely grow out of them

As you get older and you stop hitting the bars Tuesday - Sunday, you'll find that your priorities will shift in a completely different direction, and you will most likely grow apart from this person naturally because you're values are just, different.