How To Survive Your First Year Of College

There is more than you think.

9

Going from High School to College may not seem like a big jump, but let me tell you, it's a huge jump. There are so many differences between the two I can not even being to count because the list would go on forever. Before you head of to college, everyone will be saying "Good luck", "You will have a blast", or "Oh that is such a great school, my niece went there and she loved it". Truth is everyone is going to have a different college experience and that is just how it is. We can do all want to try and have a great experience; however, everyone is different. So, here is what I learned my first year of college:

1. The friends you meet the first week of school will not be your forever friends.

Most likely you will grow closer to the people you have similarities with. You will also realize the walls in the dorms are paper thin and you can literally hear anything above a whisper through them. During the first couple weeks of school you realize who you want to really spend your time with. You come to know people on a more personal level and grow to love them, for not only who they are but all of the fun time you will create together, along with the notorious inside jokes. I would not trade the friends I have made at college for anything, and I know you will make amazing friends too, so don't stress everyone get nervous about making friends.

2. Everyone you meet is there to help you.

The first couple weeks of college are scary; however, everyone is there to help you. No matter what you may be going through there is someone to help you no matter the situation. They have all been in your shoes before and and more than happy to help you along your journey and make it go as smoothly as possible.

3. You will miss home more than you think.

When going to college I could not wait to get away from my little hometown. However, the longer you're away the more you want to go back. You start to miss the little things about home, such as your favorite blanket, pets, and most definitely the home cooked meals. The first couple months you will call your parents just to hear their voice because you need something familial when your first in such a strange place. As things become more familiar you'll tend to call home less, which is okay; but do not forget to catch up and tell your family you love them every once in a while.

4. Freedom and studying are both very important.

College allows you so much more freedom then when at home. Therefore, you are able to hangout with friends until 2 in the morning, eat whatever you want, or skip class if you are not feeling it that day. However, studying and going to class is still very important for your education. You are most likely paying thousands of dollars to go to this school miles away from home. Yes, go out and have fun, but also take studying very seriously. You may have to skip going out to eat with friends because of a big exam the next day, it happens, I promise you're going to be fine and ace that exam.

5. Time management skills.

Between school work, social life, and maybe a job, there will not be a lot of free time which is kind of a bummer; however, you just need to straighten out your priorities. In college there are a lot of things to get involved in and you'll want to jump at every opportunities you have to volunteer and such. However, do not fill your plate too full because then you'll become stressed out, trust me you don't want to be there. Take your time getting involved in groups and make sure you have enough time.

Everyone experiences college differently so I don't want to tell you it is going to be a blast; however, I will most definitely say it is what you make it.