How to Survive FINALS

How to Survive FINALS

Caffeine, Anxiety and Inadequate sleep = The Dream Team?

40

It's that time of the semester again. Anxiety levels are at an all-time high, libraries and coffee shops are overflowing with students. Yes, this semester is almost over and finals are near. This means that we have to hustle for another few more weeks until we can enjoy our summer. Here are some of the tips I use during the last few weeks of the semester to maintain my sanity during an otherwise insane period of time

1. Time Management

Forest App

@forest_app// Instagram

Time management is key when it comes to dealing with final exams. Make a daily planner and assign time slots for each activity throughout the day. Make sure you give yourself breaks, but not too many, such that you don't focus on studying. When you are studying, try and avoid social media. I would recommend downloading an application called Forest, which is available on ios and Android. It helps ensure that you do not waste time on your phone and helps to stay focused on your work.

2. Eat and sleep regularly

@collective_evolution // Instagram

Make sure you get at least 6 hours of sleep daily - It does not matter if you are a night or morning person. During exam season, it is common for people to either eat a lot or reduce eating, due to stress. Try to avoid this and try to maintain a proper diet. Yeah, I know we're college students and on-campus food isn't that great, but during finals week, try taking care of what you eat.

3. Caffeine

@starbucks //Instagram

Coffee is a college student's best friend. The libraries and bookstores are filled with the enriching aroma of caffeine. As someone, who gulps a venti cafe mocha from Starbucks on a daily basis, no matter how heartbreaking this sounds, you must try to limit the caffeine intake. Try to stay below the 400mg of caffeine. I know this seems like a daunting task, but it will be beneficial

4. Water

Viktor Hanacek

It is important to remember to drink water regularly. This helps in ensuring that the motor and cognitive processes of the brain are working correctly. Don't rely only on soda (yeah I know it also has water, but still).

5. Remember to Breathe

@nikihxri // Instagram

Finals week tends to push a majority of the students to their limit. In times like this, it is important to remember to take a break once in a while and let your mind cool down. Try meditating at least once every day, preferably after you wake up. Give yourself a break after completing a particular task. Hangout with a couple of friends to de-stress. It is important to balance everything. You don't want your mind blowing up after working too hard.

These are just some of the tips I think would be beneficial. Easier said than done, right? But at least we can try to stick to some of these tips to help