How Society Needs To Change Its Definition Of Failure

Stop discouraging failure, and encourage the attempt of something new
541

We live in a society where failure is frowned upon. However, failure is not exactly what society defines it as. The dictionary definition of failure is "lack of success". Failure means that you did not attempt to do something, not that you did not do something well. People often flip-flop what failure actually is in their heads and become discouraged from ever attempting anything new.

People are not perfect! Everyone makes mistakes, but luckily those mistakes help us to grow and change into the person we will eventually become. Even the top athletes in the world were not born being excellent at a certain sport. Athletes have to work at it and practice until they can perform well in a sport and, even then, they still miss shots and experience losses. No one is perfect, and that is something that is beautiful and wonderful about this world.

Attempting to do something and not doing it perfectly the first time does not mean that you have failed. It simply means that you need to keep working at whatever it is you want to do and try again. Hard work and practice lead to success. Just because you do not do something well the first time, do not give up. If you give up, then you will never improve. Giving up and accepting defeat is failing just as much as never trying in the first place.

Always learn from whatever it is that you may be doing. Learning is how we grow and improve ourselves. For example, if someone is baking cookies, and they accidentally add too much baking soda to the cookie batter and the cookies do not come out as well as they expected, then this particular cookie-baking experience would be considered a failure. However, if that person learns the correct recipe for the cookies and adds the right amount of baking soda to the batter the next time they bake the cookies, then they have turned a failure into a learning experience. Now, are the cookies going to come out perfectly every single time? No. However, each and every time the cookies do not come out exactly right, the person baking the cooking skills is learning and improving their baking skills. Furthermore, a simple cookie-baking failure could teach a person to improve their skills at following directions, and patience when waiting for the cookies to turn out the right way.

So, go out there and fail! Turn your failure into a learning experience. The only way that you can fail is if you don't try in the first place. No one ever learned any new skills from sitting around. Learn to fail, and learn from your failures. Everyone is capable of great things, we just have to get out there and try.