How I Met My Best Friends In College

How I Met My Best Friends In College

from a freshman at OU

8829
How I Met My Best Friends In College

Quarantine inspired me to write about my freshman year to keep it positive and focus on all the good things I was able to experience this year! In this article, I will be talking about how I was able to make such amazing friends by simply putting myself out there and trying new things.

Starting in the fall I attended The University Of Oklahoma, I'm originally from Arlington, Texas, go, Cowboys, yay! Surprisingly even though I am not that far away, not many people from my school were attending OU in the fall so I was going to Norman with a fresh start basically. Obviously, for any incoming freshman reading this you always hear how scary it is to start out new and how to put yourself out there constantly. It's, of course, going to be scary when you are moving somewhere new and your normal is completely switched, instead of thinking about it in a nerve-racking way, try thinking to yourself to optimize your time you get to meet new people and grow. This is the mindset I tried to keep throughout my first year of college. From the start, I joined a sorority, which is a great way to meet new people. I applied for as many organizations as I could that I thought sounded interesting to me. I also reached out to people in any way I could to grow connections with people and make friendships! This is how I grew to meet my best friends. My first close friend at OU actually happened because of our moms they gave us each other's phone numbers weirdly enough. I reached out and texted Lauren, who is now one of my best friends. We went out together that night and hung out with so many different people including her roommate who is also one of my best friends now, and formed friendships by joining using through our sorority. If I would have never pushed myself to text her and reach out I would have never found such an amazing group of people who are consistently uplifting me.

They have gotten me through the hard parts of college which have been way more than expected, and have made so many of the tough times fun by them just being there. Throughout freshman year we have been inseparable and have had so many fun memories, From going through using together, to our random trips to Austin, and spring break in Destin, Florida, and can't forget our memorable bar nights. I will not take any of these moments for granted! Quarantine has inspired to not take any of the small moments with the people you love for granted. To my friends reading this, I love you all endlessly and can't wait for many more years of making stupid decisions with you all! Sorry for the sappiness quarantine got to me, Peace to a freshman year I would have never expected!