How My Parents' Divorce Changed My Life

How My Parents' Divorce Changed My Life

The light at the end of the tunnel is closer than you may think.

464
How My Parents' Divorce Changed My Life
Pix-HD

It's a commonly known (and totally terrifying) fact that over 50 percent of today's marriages in the United States inevitably end in divorce. It is so commonplace, in fact, that we are a generation desensitized to divorce. Many of us have been raised by divorced parents, single parents, mixed families, and many different scenarios that are deemed "abnormal." But, if this is the new norm, then how strange are we really?

I consider myself lucky, as my parents always remained relatively friendly. I admittedly appreciate that I was young when it happened, and that things weren't too messy, because for many people that is most certainly not the case. Regardless of the situation, though, things could often be a little bit tricky.

Sometimes I craved that "normal" childhood, with parents that were still together throughout my life. But sometimes, I realized that it's not really all that bad. Hardships and moments of change are what make us who we truly are, and although I was six when it first happened, my parents' divorce did just that.

It's easy to look at the negative stigmas that surround children of divorce. However, I personally believe that, in the end, I learned some incredibly valuable lessons. Here are a few ways that my parents' divorce actually changed my life for the better:

I learned a lot about myself. Divorce, especially at a young age, can be confusing and scary. Sometimes you don't completely understand the situation, and even worse, there are times when you blame yourself. And this makes you think, a lot, whether you know it or not. Because of this, I became very self-aware, very responsive, and in-tune with the feelings of those around me, and I established a strong sense of individuality. When life as you know it changes in the blink of an eye, you can really learn to stand on your own two feet. I became eager to succeed, create my own happiness, and always work hard in all aspects of life.

It forced me to grow up. I can honestly say that I didn't entirely understand things, even years later. Sometimes I used it as an excuse to act a certain way, and I selfishly put blame or guilt on my parents. Eventually, however, I realized how wrong this was and how my behavior shouldn't be rooted in this negativity. After that, I learned to be more respectful and appreciative. I saw my situation as a blessing instead of curse. I stopped blaming, and started growing, learning, and accepting things as they are.

I built unique, but strong, relationships with each of my parents. There were definitely rough patches, as is the case with many teenagers when it comes to their parents. But, I appreciate them both for very specific, unique reasons. I got to know my parents as individuals: they each taught me valuable lessons, and they both served as wonderful role models. I always knew that my parents were cheerleaders in all that I did, and having their support was always a very reassuring feeling.

I met my stepmom. Like a soulmate, someone who I was destined to cross paths with. I have brand new family members that, although not related by blood, are very near and dear to my heart.

I am close with my grandparents.

I learned to reimagine my values of love. I was like any other child, full of hope for the perfect life, the perfect Disney fairytale romance. Life isn't perfect and neither is romance.

But, I crave so badly a relationship that is different. I crave security and certainty. This has led me, in the past, to rush the process and think too far ahead. This is a deep hole to dig for yourself, and often you put on blinders to avoid seeing the flaws in a person. I have learned from these negative experiences. I won't make those choices until I know for sure.

Love has a very strong meaning to me, and I don't say or take it lightly. I feel everything, and I feel it intensely. I am not always easy to handle, but I know that the right person will handle me with care.

Of course, I wouldn't say that divorce is good for children of any age. But it does build character and teach important lessons when handled in the proper way.

Through the trials and tribulations of it all, I became the person that I am today. And I must (selfishly) say, I think I came out OK.