How Nature Heals My Soul

How Nature Heals My Soul

Nature has helped heal my overall health, has softened my daily stresses, and has brought me ultimate gratitude.

22
How Nature Heals My Soul

Nature has always been able to bring me back to my center. Whenever I have felt anxious or unsure, I have gone outside. I never understood why I had such a calling for the outdoors or for the exploration of the unknown. Something about physically putting myself in a different environment has always lead to a strong sense of gratitude for my life- as if there is something more I am to do. To me, it was always as if Mother Nature herself was whispering in my ear to keep going, to keep fighting, and to keep "Chasing the Sun".

I suffer from a multitude of mental and physical health issues. Everything from depression, PTSD and anxiety, to my more physical ailments like Chiari Malformation 1 ("Chiari"), and Empty Sella Syndrome. All of these issues do affect my body daily but primarily my mind suffers the most. For those of you that do not know, "Chiari" affects a lot of my physical mobility- things like numbness, severe migraines, and light sensitivity. Empty Sella Syndrome effects my pituitary gland. In your brain, you have a sack where your pituitary glad should sit but in my case, I have sack filled with CSF(cerebral spinal fluid) which shows up as a whole in your head if you ever go to get an MRI. There is a cluster of cells that sit at the bottom of that sack and "act" like my pituitary gland. Meaning I naturally suffer from a hormonal imbalance. As I got older, I discovered that the imbalance is a cause for some of my other mental and emotional setbacks. I had a very invasive brain operation to help correct my "Chiari" when I was 17 because I was dying. It literally hurt to move or exert my body in any way. Sneezing, laughing, running, jumping, and it even hurt to poop! Any exertion! I would get severe pain in my head and it crushed me. I did not want to move, I did not want to be around people because laughing and smiling was too painful.

After all my surgeries (I also had 2 surgeries on my ovaries.) and trying to get the hang of my early twenties, I realized I was depressed and struggling to keep going. I started training hard, intermingling between CrossFit, powerlifting, yoga, and spin. I loved it all, my physical health blossomed and my confidence grew to new heights. I had never felt so beautiful but my mind...my mind is something I am constantly going to have to work on because of past trauma and because of my physical limitations.

Whenever I can change my environment I am able to change my emotions. I have to start by acknowledging myself fully and identify how I am feeling. I have to then truly accept that I am hurting. That in itself can be hard. Next, I have to figure the why or how I am hurting. Did someone else make me upset or is this a self-inflicted stressor? This is only the second part but it is always been one of the hardest for me because what if it is a self-inflicted stressor? Then that would mean that I did not make the best decision for myself or maybe I offended someone else. If someone else is the one causing the harm to me, I have to accept that for what it is. I have found that, usually, if I am so terribly upset by one direct person it is because it is probably someone close to me and that can be a hard pill to swallow. Because we all have choices, sometimes the ones closest to us do the most damage.

After I have acknowledged and accepted the feelings and their causes, I have developed a way of learning to let it go and I use my love for the outdoors to do so. I take a deep breath, I accept it, and then honestly lay it to rest. Not just put it in the back of my mind and not deal with it. I make peace with myself and the situation.

I step outside and I become mindful of my surroundings, I pay attention to all the sounds, smells, and what I see. I make a note that the world is huge and that everyone has issues of some kind and I am not alone in what I am feeling. I continue to deep breathe and I slow down. I let the wind or the current carry the heaviness away. I stay in nature, my safe place, until I know I can continue on. Because I use nature to help heal it has allowed me to have a new appreciation for our planet. We need to care for her because she cares for us.