How My Sorority Changed All Of My Expectations About Sororities

The stereotype doesn't do it justice.

73

Sororities have a certain reputation on most college campuses and for this reason, I had never given much thought to rushing in college because that has never really been my "scene". However, after my cousin rushed and talked with me about her experiences and how many amazing friendships and opportunities had come out of it, I decided to go ahead and rush even if I didn't commit to any one organization. This was one of the best decisions I ever made, and it changed every single one of my preconceived notions about Greek organizations.

Joining a sorority for me, was about joining a sisterhood away from home and gaining a support system to help ease the transition. I have two younger sisters and I know what that bond can be like, so being away from them and from home for the first time was extremely hard. I knew I needed a support system and after talking with several of the current member of Centenary's Chi-Omega Chapter, I knew that that was exactly what a sorority provided.

Going through Rush was quite an intimidating experince. Seeing how close all of the girls were in their respective sororities made me wonder how I would find a place in a group of such tight-knit girls, but once I set foot in what is now my greek house, I knew that I would have no problem finding a home in that place and with those people.

Several girls that I was already close friends with ended up pledging Chi-Omega with me and after we all pledged, I truly got to see what an incredible bond it is that you have when you join an organization like this.

Being in a sorority means you are immersed in tradition, and surrounded by a group of girls that share in most of your values and desires. You are part of a sisterhood so close that no matter what happens in your life, you know you have a whole chapter of girls who are willing to support you and be there you. You have countless opportunities to make a difference with your philanthropy and your willingness to get involved and you are a leader on your school campus.

One of my biggest draws to Greek Life was that every organization has their own Philanthropy affiliation that they pair up with to do events and fundraise for. Chi-Omega's philanthropy is the Make-A-Wish Foundation which works towards granting wishes to kids with life-altering conditions. This is something that spoke wonders to me during rush week and I just knew I had to be a part of it. Having a philanthropy affiliation means that you have countless opportunities to volunteer, host fun events, and make a difference in someone's life and I adore this aspect of my sorority.

I have been so blessed to have made some of my best friends in the world through my sorority, and I know that throughout my college career, those bonds will just continue to get stronger and stronger as we grow in friendship and sisterhood. Every aspect of my sorority has completely rewritten my preconceived ideas about what a sorority would be and made me realize that it is so much more than the stereotype that everyone assumes of it and I am so thankful for that. Without that, I never would have rushed and had all of the amazing experiences and made all of the amazing friends that I have in my first year of college, and I would not have found my home away from home.