How Much Are They Worth?

How Much Are They Worth?

"Joining a sorority or a fraternity, like joining any organization or group, comes with its stereotypes."

5
How Much Are They Worth?

Joining a sorority or a fraternity, like joining any organization or group, comes with its stereotypes.

Being in a sorority, we're lumped into a set of judgements—some that are completely misinterpreted and some have shades of truth. One of the biggest stereotypes that Greek life deals with is that people think we're paying for our friends.

Yes, being in a sorority does require an active member to pay a certain amount of money every semester. We pay that money so we can keep our chapter running and in good condition. Never did I read in my bill statement that I pay a certain amount to have my sisters love me and be my friends.

It really is great to know that when some people look at us, they think our world is just a perfect movie in which we all get along and craft for each other every day. That is not the case. Being in a sorority means having up to hundreds of girls who have been leaders, athletes and successful whether it was in high school or in college. Should I repeat that again? Having some talented and powerful women in the same room is difficult not to mention the hormones. Although some of us get along right away, a lot of sorority women and fraternity men have to work for their friendships. I know this based on personal experience. One of my sisters, who is now one of my best friends, did not like me at first. But, that's how many people are.

It is safe to say that being in a sorority or fraternity gives you sisters and brothers who will give you everything you need to be successful in life or just get you through the day. The amount of support, love and strength that your chapter gives you is astonishing. Everyone goes through hardships, and everyone needs people in their lives who lift you higher than you even thought you could go. I have been driven to be a much bigger person than I thought I could be, and I owe that to every one of my sisters. If I’m paying for that, then I’m sure not paying nearly enough.