How Moving To A New City Alone Changed Me

Meaningful lessons and tips that worked

612

Although, I have a gypsy spirit, I feel a strange pulling at my heartstrings when I uproot and find myself trying to build a life in a new place.

This past move was particularly difficult for me. Maybe, because I am finally "on my own" and in the "real world".

But as the saying goes, life beings when you leave your comfort zone. Here are the lessons I've learned that have not only challenged me but have pushed me to grow.

Remind yourself daily how courageous you are

It takes bravery to decide you are going to uproot everything, pack your life into tiny boxes, and move into the unknown. You no longer have that safe place and are faced with having to create it, again. Tell yourself that you are strong and brave then believe it!

Lose your fear of solitude

Give yourself the gift of independence and establish that quality from the start. The worst thing you can do is allow yourself to have a crutch. All you need is you.

Treat it as an adventure

Living in a new place is a great opportunity to experience new things and to grow as a person. So stay positive, get out there and explore!

Take Initiative

When you have the opportunity to get out, take it. It may feel awkward at first, but there isn't anything wrong with grabbing a book and enjoying the sunshine a little.

Reach out

Introduce yourself to your neighbors and everyone else you meet. Tell them you are new in town. It's the best way to get advice and tips about living in your area and making new friends.

Locate the necessities

Driving, riding, or walking around your new neighborhood is the best way to learn where everything is.

Find what you love

Seek out the things you've always enjoyed. Just because you are in a new place doesn't mean you have to give up your hobbies and interests.

Appreciate the differences, don't compare them

No living situation will be the same. While it is wonderful to reflect on past living spaces, it is unhealthy to pine away for what once was. Embrace all new parts of your home that you will grow to love rather than focusing on what it lacks.

Find beauty in the small things

"Stop and smell the roses" is a beautiful mantra to live by. Whenever you feel like you're forgetting to be grateful, take a moment to be appreciative of the things around you, no matter how insignificant they may be.

Maintain your relationships

ALL of them. Friendships, even long distance friendships, will help you feel stable and grounded when you feel your world is turned upside down.

Spend time in beautiful places

Whenever I feel sad, distressed, or worried I take myself somewhere beautiful. This is because my heart bursts with appreciation and I have the clarity to understand what I have to do to move forward and make myself feel better.

Stay true to yourself

Listen to the inner voice that is guiding you. It definitely knows best. Don't change yourself to be like everyone else or to keep up with them.

Be patient

It takes time to get to know a new place. So don't expect to feel comfortable right away. Give yourself time to adjust.