If You Want To Make 2018 Better Than 2017, Scrap The Resolution

You don't have to create a new you this new year.

94
Cristian Escobar

The chorus of "I'm going to lose 30 lbs," "I'm going to get my money right," and "I'm leaving ____ in [insert past year]" are to New Year's as Christmas trees, eggnog, and "All I Want for Christmas is You" are to Christmas. There are certain things that are characteristics of every holiday season, and in many cases, self-betterment and change are things that people reserve for the New Year.

That being said, many people set their sights on creating long lists of ways they will change in the next year. Most of the time, their resolve lasts a week or two and then they return to the way(s) they were previously. There is a lot of commentaries acknowledging the limited amount of motivation that people have, there is little to no effort to change it. As we are now a few weeks into 2018, it's likely that you have already given up on your own resolution.

While the lack of motivation can be contributed to a number of factors, such as an inability to focus on reaching goals due to the overabundance of objectives present on a resolution, what it really comes down to is one key factor: Prioritization. It can even be argued that the reason the objectives on the list are on there in the first place is due to prioritization.

Ultimately, people know that they should go to the gym, eat more healthy foods, and avoid negative influences and people year-round, but actually doing the work to make those things a part of their everyday routine is a feat most people are unmotivated to do. Whether a result of their busy schedules or any other excuse.

Being better becomes a priority at a specific time and day, and slowly (or rapidly) wears off.

I once heard someone say that you are statistically more likely to make a change in your life if, when you think of that change, you institute it in that moment, as the process of putting off the date and time to start signifies a lack of the mental preparation and fortitude necessary to successfully complete the objective. Personal change is a science of habits, changing the bad and instilling the good. In order to do so, focus, dedication, and priority are key, and New Year's resolutions hinder one's ability to do all three.

So this year, if you're serious about making a personal change, scrap the resolution.

Keep the objectives within it, but first, focus and prioritize them all. As a prerequisite, be honest with yourself about what you do and don't have the dedication and resolve to do. The shorter the initial list, the faster it is to check off.

Next, start with one or two goals, whether they be the easiest to achieve, like drinking a glass of water after breakfast, or the most important to you, like going to the gym 'x' days a week, and commit to them. If it helps, look at your schedule and give yourself specific times and days to do the goal.

It is most important that you simplify the process as much as possible so that all you have left to do is the action. After that, find different ways to motivate yourself so that when you find a dip in resolve, which will happen, you can combat it swiftly.

May the force (of self-love and betterment) be with you.