How Long Distance Can Work

How Long Distance Can Work

Obviously a long distance relationship is hard. But, like anything worth having, you make it work.

11
How Long Distance Can Work
Wikia

In Summer 2015, I was working at Starbucks, serving people their daily dose of coffee when I met this one barista, Stanton. It took a whole summer for both of us to realize we liked each other and shortly after, we began dating. It took me by surprise and I did not expect things to work out considering I would be going back to Missouri for college in two weeks. I left, he stayed, time went on. After about a month of being apart, I was realizing how this could work. One year later, we are still together and looking back at the year of long distance, I do not regret a thing. Obviously there were hard times, but if both people are committed, I believe it can work.

I recommend FaceTiming every night, it doesn’t matter if you are having a horrid day or if you are having the most hectic day of your life. Nothing is going to feel better than knowing you are just one click of way from getting to see their face. Of course, you may get off your FaceTime call and let reality set in that you’re hundreds of miles apart, but for that brief call, you forgot.

Going along with staying connected by phone, be sure to continue to text in detailed messages. Stanton and I would go as far as explaining what we had for lunch and what we were doing at that exact point. It is always nice hearing about the other person’s day when you cannot physically be with them.

Trust. This is the main factor and is one that can be the most complicated. When I left to go back to school, I was so unsure of our future and what might happen. I hardly knew his past. You have to trust the other person not to cheat, lie or otherwise betray your trust. Clearly, FaceTiming and texting each day will help to ease any of your concerns but it all comes down to your trust. Not only your trust in them, but their trust in you.

Know the end. It is always comforting to know when the next time you see each other will be. It can help build even more anticipation for getting to see them and help you to not feel like it’s too much longer. It gives you something to hold onto.

I think the hardest part of long distance is knowing the clock is always counting down. If you’re with them, it is a countdown until you have to leave again. If you’re not, then it’s a countdown until when you get to see them. You learn to cherish every moment you see, are with or even talk to them. I’m not saying it’s going to be easy but from my experience, it was definitely worth it. It helps you to understand that you are still able to be on your own and be your own person. It helps you to know just how much the two of you can go through. It helps strengthen every aspect of your relationship.