How To Help A Freshman

How To Help A Freshman

13
How To Help A Freshman

The beginning of freshman year is often a tough time for incoming students.

Most of us left our friends, family and comfort zone as we went off to college. I’m sure the majority of us can recall the anxiety and uncertainty that we experienced as we slid into the next chapter of our life. Maybe you were worried about making friends, or nervous about finding your classes or if you would be able to survive calculus. 

Most of us had nervous misgivings about college, and we all know the incoming freshmen will experience these same emotions. In an attempt to ease the transition, a number of articles have been written to freshmen advising them on how to act or not act. While this sage advice will more than likely be helpful to any freshman who reads it, these tips are easier said than done, especially when it comes to not being afraid to ask upperclassmen for help. So, it's our job to make it a little easier for them to come to you.

DePauw is a small campus, so you’re bound to see freshmen whether you’re walking to class or buying party supplies at Walmart. Greet them and flash a smile. A small act like that won’t erase all their anxieties, but it will help them feel welcome to the DePauw community.              

You don’t have to limit yourself to simple smiles or waves; take the next step by asking a freshman struggling to find Julian if he or she needs help. If you know a few incoming freshmen from high school, or they’re on your sports team, ask them if they want to grab lunch at the Hub or a coffee at Starbucks. Having someone reach out like this will definitely make a newcomer feel welcome on campus and gives them an opportunity to ask you any questions about something they may be struggling with. It might even give you a chance to get to know them better. If you have a more self-serving agenda, you may still benefit from these acts of kindness. Perhaps this freshman will recall your effort during recruitment, and it will become the deciding factor that steers them to favor your fraternity or sorority.             

We have all been in the same shoes as the freshmen, uncertain and anxious. Help reign in those apprehensions and pull them into the DePauw community. It only takes a smile. Maybe, they'll end up being one of your closest friends.