How To Be In A Healthy Long Distance Relationship

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

22
Maddie Ruth

DISCLAIMER: Everyone loves and finds happiness with their relations in different ways. This article is to express my opinions and my advice on how to handle even some of your toughest situations with the one you love.

Long distance relationships can be scary, knowing that the person who you want to be with the most will not always get to be physically there. Knowing that you guys will not be seeing each other as often as you would like, or trying to plan to see each other can be a difficult task. Just know that both of you care about one another, take a deep breath and be happy to be in each other’s lives.

Here are my five main ways to achieve a happy, hot and healthy long distance relationship that will always work, that even I use!

Trust.

Trust is the absolute number one thing the both of you need to have with one another. Sometimes you may not be able to talk for a few days, or one of you are unavailable to talk at the time the other one wants to talk. This is not a reason to over think. I would put over thinking as a main topic, but I can sum that up in one sentence. Do not ever let your brain trick you into over thinking your relationship; at night turn your brain off, during the day distract yourself. The less you think too much about the relationship the better your mind will feel. Without trust the relationship will be very hard to handle. Trust from the very beginning there are reasons they are with you. Never forget that! Always remember that there are millions of people in this world and you guys chose one another for a reason, never think too deep, or get mad over little things, I promise you they care about you there is no reason to worry.

Let go of small things.

Please do not argue over small things that can be avoidable. You don’t see each other often yeah, sure you may not always have the same views, but no one is perfect. If you don’t see a conversations heading in the right direction change the subject to avoid negativity. You aren’t always going to agree so please, get over it. Always be honest with one another, but never too honest where you may hit a nerve or hurt feelings. Enjoy the conversations that you share and always make note that maybe discussing politics, religion or personal sensitive things might not always be a good topic to bring up. There are so many other things you can talk about that I promise will mean so much more.

Example:

Take as many pictures.

This is probably more a girl thing, since my boyfriend hates taking pictures. I am pretty sure every guy hates posing and smiling for a picture. If they care enough though they will smile through it and do those ridiculous poses just to make you happy. Trust me. Pictures are worth a thousand words and memories. That one snapshot will be a keeper forever. Won’t it be cute in a year from now to send that picture of you two eating ice cream at the beach to your significant other along with a cute message? Always be prepared to capture special moments. Not all have to end up on social media, keep them for yourself.

Example:

Walking in 100 degree weather, while getting lost in Key West just for this picture and experience. P.S. Thank you fabi, you are perfect.

Laugh a lot.

Laughing is the best medicine. When you laugh together you guys are happy. Couples who are able to share a sense of humor and laugh more than once a day together even when you are miles apart only make you guys stronger. It is so cute when couples have their own inside jokes it is like their own kind of secret language and bond that they share.

Example:

Be thoughtful.

Whether it is cooking them their favorite meals when you are together, sending surprises in the mail or even just a small and cute gesture. Remember it is the little things that you do that means the most to the person you care so dearly about. When you do things out of kindness they will always be remembered.

Example:

Express affection.

Always remind your person that you love them. Even if you haven’t spoken all day it never hurts to send a sweet reminder about how much they mean to you. Saying “I love you,” can be expressed in many ways than just the words itself. When you are together kiss them as much as you possibly can until your lips bleed. Always hold their hand and hug tightly, because the word “love” can always be shown through actions as well.

Example:

No matter what people may say never let anything discourage you. I believe a long distance relationship is beautiful. Not only does it allow you to grow and mature, it also allows you to appreciate one another. Whether it is your first love or your last love, as long as you both put forth the effort a long distance relationship is absolutely possible. Remember absence makes the heart grow fonder.