How Have Cartoon Animations Changed Over-Time?

With their two-dimensional appearances and simple sound effects, classic cartoons like Mickey Mouse and Popeye, symbolize the beginning days of cartoons

2191
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/the-spongebob-squarepants-story-cartoons-harm-higher-cognition/247138/

Technological advancements throughout the decades have vastly revolutionized the mechanism in which cartoons are made. Beginning with hand drawn pictures, the cartoon industry has transformed into a multi-million-dollar business, intriguing the eyes of various audiences. It is important to recognize that as technology grows and attributes a greater potential, older modes of development will seemingly fade into history. This idea is relevant in the technology that shifted the quality and quantity of cartoons to what we see in movies and television shows today. In order to understand how cartoons have progressed, it's essential to compare the old and new of the cartoon industry, and the ways in which it has been effected. By comparing and contrasting old and modern day style cartoons, one can examine the effects of technological advancements. The "Incredibles" movies are a prime example of the technological advancements that aid in the rich precision that makes cartoon movies almost feel alive.

The silent era, taking place from 1900 to 1930, marked the beginning phases of theatrical cartoons. These particular cartoons were hand crafted by individual frames, and then pieced together to make the object or person move. Essentially these films were two dimensional, black and white, soundless, and would appear choppy in comparison to modern movies. This act of drawing and piecing together pictures created the art of "motion", which was quickly adapted into the minds of motion picture artists everywhere (Lehman 20070). In 1908, Fantasmagorie was the first wholly animated film. Using all hand-drawn pictures, the film incorporated the methods of stop-motion processes to create the movement of the images. The Golden Age of American Animation peaked amidst the 1930's to the 1950's. This period embarked on the integration of cartoons into pop culture and the media. Because massive amounts of cartoons began to develop, technology began to develop alongside them. The television became a monumental display platform for cartoons, leading cartoonists to elongate their work from short films to approximately twenty minute long episodes (Habib & Soliman). Without television, many animated films would never have been made, due to the fact that there wouldn't have been a place for them to be exhibited. Ever since, the world of cartoons has continued down the path of evolution at the same rate that technology allows. Before enhancements in digital art, cartoons would take years to create because of the length of time necessary for carefully crafting each lone frame. But this process also allowed for countless images and characters to be incorporated into the piece. As technology advances, cartoons become more realistic and intricate, but many programming software prevent the addition of too many characters due to increasing programming complexity (Mclaughlin 2016). In some ways hand-drawn cartoons are a form of lost art crafted by those with the patience and time for hand-made work. With their two-dimensional appearances and simple sound effects, classic cartoons like Mickey Mouse and Popeye, symbolize pieces of the beginning days of cartoons.

The CCO of Pixar, John Lasseter, states "the art challenges the technology, and the technology inspires the art" (Mclaughlin 2016). In other words, while the world is advancing, both technology and art, continue to provoke and influence each other's potential. During the 1980's technological advancements truly began to change the structure of cartoons, introducing machines as an essential component in the cartoon creation process. Computer generated imagery developed in this time, altered the way artists create animations forevermore. CGI's replaced traditional drawing techniques with three-dimensional modeling, or the digital version of stop-motion pictures. The world of graphic art now has numerous tools that aid in the generation of high quality, detailed images. Beginning with the use of a computer and computer-generated imagery, graphic designers now have the assistance of a variety of devices such as digital pens, tablets, and electronic sculpting tools. The new and many graphic design software allow for the individualized creation of proprietary software to frame the perfect image (Meyer 2013). Cartoons are now predominantly generated on some form of computer graphic software with high resolutions and distinct quality, although the amount of time it takes to create a cartoon then and now is relatively the same.

A relevant comparison to show the effect that technology has on the change in cartoon's over time is the Incredibles. The first Incredibles movie was released in 2004, sparking the attention of children and adults alike. The cartoon movie was already modern for its time, transitioning from a two-dimensional cartoon to three dimensional. Fourteen years later, Incredibles 2, was released with more advanced features that vastly surpassed the quality of the original film. According to Brad Bird and Pixar, an entirely new software called Presto, was the basis behind the film's intricacies. Because of the advancements in technology that had taken place in the fourteen-year time period, the original drawings and sculptures could not be recycled into the sequel, simply because they were outdated. As technology continues to progress, it is common that older software is no longer accessible because of the changes within the computer programming and design. The advanced computer generated imagery of the Presto software added depth and detail to the motion picture accentuating the intense action-filled scenes. Creators used tools in the "post-animation" phase to add weight, and volume to the characters (Desowitz 2018). For example, Rick Sayre, the technical director of both Incredibles 1 and 2, stated that the beginning shot of the second film where the main character is flattened, was created using "deformation tools to push the model around" (Desowitz 2018). Utensils like this were not possible fourteen years ago, but can now be included to intensify the livelihood of the movie. Custom tailoring was also incorporated into the second movie. The character's clothing resembled life-like, miniscule cloth fibers that have the ability to move in a synchronized fashion with the characters. Though not visible to the eye immediately upon viewing, the fibers can be clearly seen when the image is zoomed in. Detailing the clothing fibers contributes to the overall quality of the picture, amplifying the fluidity and complexity of each frame. The tool added multiple levels to the artwork, enhancing the character's real-life appearance. Current graphic design software is manipulated so that the artist can produce a multi-dimensional and multi-layered image, that is easily repeatable. The rapid growth in technological software is the essential determinant for creating modern-day cartoons at the caliber that is expected in today's day in age.

Modern day cartoons, such as the Incredibles 2 are progressing towards an era of realness. Visual imagery is a primary determinant to the success of an animated film. Characters that appear more realistic to actual life, are more easily liked by and related to by the audience.

In fact, animators of Incredibles 2 used human eye models to computer generate the eyes of the main characters. Pupil, iris, and all, this addition made the characters come to live on the screen.

Improvements in technology is the driving source behind making a character who looks 3D as well as semi-real. A study by Aline Borst and Beatrice Gelder attempted to analyze the relationship between life like characters and the interactions that occur within the human brain. They found that the "expressions of emotions in human-like avatars can be perceived similarly to human emotions." Though a complex thought, it is relevant to understand that these technological advancements are adapting to please the mind of the viewer. Our brains react to images that appear more like ourselves in a different manner than to images unlike ourselves.

If a more life-like cartoon draws the attention of a greater crowd than a classic styled cartoon, technology within the animation industry will satisfy the desires of its customers.

Enhancements in technology through the years has not only effected how the artist creates a cartoon, but it also effects how the viewer sees and understands the cartoon. With technology, high quality and high resolution images are designed to ensure that the image and its message is accurately depicted to the viewer. Technology continues to further assist in the story telling of an animated film. A clearer, more concise cartoon is bound to attract more viewers, keeping them coming back for more. Consider a well-known animation, like Toy Story. Imagine if there are two versions of the movie, one with a two-dimensional, early cartoon design, and the other with a three-dimensional modern day layout accenting the fine details (like the actual movie). The higher quality version is bound to be more popular because of its technologically advanced qualities, satisfying the imagery sensations that individuals want when watching something on television. When an image is more defined and vivid, the audience is more likely to comprehend the cartoon's objective as well as stay of interest.

Developments in computer generated images go far beyond the cartoon world. Computer generated graphics can be incorporated into real life movies as well, to create 3D characters who appear just as real, and if not more vivid, as the real life actors. In the movie Life of Pi, technology was the source behind the Bengal tiger. Rather than using a real, live animal, a computer created a character itself using visuals and characteristics of the actual animal. The animated tiger gave the same life-like appearance that a live tiger would, except it eliminated the need for the actual animal itself (Meyer). Computers have capabilities that go far beyond the mental capacity and abilities of a human. Software programs act as the brain behind a project and the artist just outlines what they envision. The creator can then focus their efforts towards their original idea and art work than the actual mechanism that goes into the computerized creation process. With the help of technology, now someone can essentially design the impossible using a programming software of their choice. When the artist and the technology can seamlessly work together in this fashion, a true piece of artwork can be created.

It is evident that technology has played a key role in the progression of cartoons and animations over time. Without computers, cartoonists would still be slowly and surely drawing their way through a film, entailing low quality imagery without the possibility of creating a motion picture. Technology has opened the door for a booming industry of creativity, without the burden of figuring out the mechanics behind putting your thoughts into action. Many variations of computer software have different capabilities that can do a substantial amount of work for the artist. Whether it be making an entire animated movie or, creating its own version of a real life character, computer imaging can create it. As long as there is a concept or an idea, a computer can bring it to life. In a world where any cartoon can be repeatedly watched at the click of the button, the animation industry has continuously stepped up their game in numerous occasions. Along with the adaptation of technology comes the adaptation of society. An overall expectation of the products that artists and cartoonists present to the public dictates what technologies need to be further enhanced. Like a cycle, society looks for something fresh and new, the capacities of the technology behind animation are pushed to their limits, and then new advancements to satisfy the desires of society eventually follow. Animation and technology go hand and hand. In order for technology to continue its path of development, cartoonists need to push new ideas that seem impossible to develop by the human hand, but are made possible via computerized mechanisms. Details as small as the fibers on the shirt and as large as the star tiger of a movie are all made through technological devices.

Today, some cartoonists continue to create animations with a two dimensional platform. Old fashioned, they still continue to flourish within the specific audience that the show is targeted for. Although, three dimensional animations advance far beyond these simplistic designs, and will only further grow. With the help of continuously developing computer graphic imaging, animation has changed its mode from simplistic, colorless, short films, to precise, semi-real looking animations in one century.