How A Floridian Prepares For Cold Weather

For all the Southerners who are still getting used to this whole "season" thing.

37
Cecilia Santis

Hi everyone, Floridian here. Well, it's almost that time of year again.

That's right. The shift from summer to fall. And then, before we know it, winter as well.

If you grew up in the north, you're probably used to the change of seasons. The change from summer to fall was inevitable. The change from fall to winter was inevitable. The change from winter to spring was inevitable...

I think you see where I'm going with this. Well, all this inevitability is not the case for us Floridians. In fact, we have zero seasons whatsoever. Can you imagine growing up with basically the same hot weather all year round and then all of a sudden becoming immersed in seasons?

Yeah, that definitely took some getting used to, to say the least. But I've already survived two years of it, so I should be ready for my third, right?

Eh, we'll see.

Usually when this shift from hot to cool weather approaches, I remember to:

1. Start bringing out all long sleeve shirts, jackets, sweaters, and pants.

These are essential, especially when it reaches below 60, because, as any Floridian knows, this is already winter weather. Start piling on those layers and get ready to look like Michelin man. Also, don't let northerners' comments about it "not being cold out" affect the way you dress. Your blood is thinner than theirs, so you have a right to stay warm and wear as many layers as possible.

2. Drinking tons of warm liquids.

I myself prefer tea, but there's a wide range of necessary warm liquids that one can consume in order to stay warm. Whether it's coffee, hot chocolate, or tea, make sure to have one of these at least once a day to keep yourself not feeling cold.

3. Getting tips from your friends.

The majority of your northern friends have all endured the changes of seasons for their entire life, so ask them for help on how to handle this change. They might tease you at first for not being used to this seemingly normal adaptation, but hey, they'll still eventually give you great advice for seasonal changes.

4. Learn about fall and winter "culture."

Don't do what I did and enter into the fall and winter seasons not knowing what the heck was going on. Yes, I was aware that the leaves were changing colors and then afterwards would eventually fall from the trees, but I didn't realize that it all happened so fast. Ask your friends about fall and ask them about winter. Stuff like wind chill is a thing, and so is "black ice". Oh, and there's also different types of snow, apparently? Yeah, all news to me.

5. Seasonal Depression is real.

Don't think you're abnormal if you're not feeling the most chipper during the winter months. The sun is setting way earlier, and therefore you see less of it and may tend to feel a little down. A good way to combat this is to wake up as early as possible so you have as much sunshine during the day as you can. Vitamin D is necessary, and because you've usually been used to seeing the sun year round, keep in mind that your body may be missing this vitamin. Get outside, even if it is cold out, and get your body moving throughout the day. Not only will it make you feel happier, but you'll get some much needed vitamin D on top of it all. Oh, and avoid Instagram at all costs because pictures of your friends back home at the beach won't make you feel better.

6. Hats, boots, scarves, mittens!

Whether you like the cold weather or not, a change in wardrobe from your classic shorts and tank top is fun! You finally get to style up an outfit with an awesome pair of boots or keep your head warm with a cute hat. And don't forget scarves and mittens! There's countless new fashion choices to chose from, and now you actually need them to stay warm!

However you learn to endure the change of seasons, I hope these tips were helpful. From one Floridian to another, good luck out there and just remember, winter is coming!