How To Find True Contentment

How To Find True Contentment

"Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but the realization of what you already have."

166
How To Find True Contentment
Sophia Peterson

Contentment is such a big word. According to Merriam Webster, contentment is a state of happiness and satisfaction. To me, I feel that contentment is so much more than simply being happy or satisfied. I’m happy when I get a high grade on a test. I’m happy when the sun is shining, and it is a breezy 65 degrees. I’m satisfied after my mom cooks me a home-cooked meal. Being truly content, however, is a much different story.

I have found it more and more difficult to find contentment as I get older. It is easy as a child. Life is simple, and there are not too many cares or stress to worry about. As life goes on, it naturally gets much harder. We no longer see out of a jaded set of glasses. Unfair things happen. Trials hit, and leave us feeling depleted. Mistakes occur, and guilt seeps in.

All the while, we scroll social media and view what appears to be perfect pictures of our friends and families. We see their accomplishments and their successes. We see new relationships, engagements, big purchases, pregnancy announcements, and job promotions. We see their opportunities and vacations. This is when jealousy creeps its ugly face in and quickly steals every inch of contentment.

Don’t get me wrong, I love social media. I think it is a fantastic tool to keep up with family and friends while posting the exciting as well as the mundane events. Sadly though, it messes with our minds. It places thoughts of insecurity, unworthiness, failure, and doubt.

Social media is not the only guilty party here, we ourselves can be our own worst critics. We assume because we made a lower grade than we wanted to that we are failures who will never succeed in life. We assume because we don’t make as much money as the neighbor across the street that we will never be happy.

We assume because everyone in our friend group is either engaged or married that there is something wrong with us, and we will never find love. We assume because our coworker got a big promotion that we suck at our job, and will never be awarded such an opportunity. We assume because we’re not skinny/pretty/tall/short enough that we will never be good enough. We assume because we made a mistake that we will always be bound by it, and never find forgiveness.

Here is the deal friends, every statement stated above is exactly as it reads-- they are simply assumptions. We come up with these crazy assumptions in our heads, and start legitimately believing these lies. Why do we believe these insane lies? It sounds so silly, yet I would wager to say we are each guilty. In Timothy, the apostle Paul writes a letter to Timothy to encourage him in his new role as the church leader. In chapter 6 he is teaching about godliness. He warns Timothy in verse six telling him, “but godliness with contentment is great gain.” Godliness and contentment go hand in hand. We only find true contentment in Jesus.

So, how can you learn to be content with where you are? You must first self-check your relationship with God. Are you where you need to be at in your walk with Him? This is the first step in finding contentment.

The second step is instead of constantly comparing what you have to what others have, try to show your thankfulness for what God has blessed you with. SO much contentment can come from stepping back and saying, wow God—I am so blessed. Thank you for always providing.

The third step is learning to give yourself grace. You cannot beat yourself up over things that sometimes do not go exactly as planned. We are all going to make mistakes-- the challenge is learning how to fix the mistake, learn from it, and do better next time.

The fourth and final step is realizing that God is not depriving us of things. He wants the very best for us. He wants to fulfill everything He has promised to us. However, His timing and our timing are most often different. We wonder why we feel stagnant, and almost at a standstill in different seasons.

We question, okay God why isn't this, this, and this happening. We desire change because we think change is going to help fulfill our contentment tank. The truth is, God's timing is strategic. He is not depriving you, He is waiting for the perfect timing. We have to learn to trust His timing and find contentment right where we are.

When we learn to be truly grateful and trust in God’s plan it is then when we find ultimate contentment. Isn't it incredible that we don't have to go searching for contentment in success, people, or things. All we have to do is seek Him. He is contentment.