How It Really Feels To Be Graduating College

I'm not as excited as everyone else seems to be.

141

I am finally graduating in a few weeks and it feels so surreal. When I was graduating high school, I remember feeling this whole sense of entitlement and counting down hundreds of days from the last day of school.

This time around is different. I feel a little nervous and slightly overwhelmed. There is still a lot of school work I'll be doing from here until the end, and I don't want to count down through that. It would be like counting the days I have left to complete three or four different projects.

I want to take my time these next few weeks. Every time I get asked how many days left I don't have an answer. I'm not counting, I'm trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I want every day of the next few weeks to go slower than molasses, just so I can have all the time in the world to be SURE my ducks are all in a row.

College graduation is much more intimidating than high school. In high school, it was a secured feeling. I knew I was going to get my diploma, I knew no matter what I'd be walking. College is different. College is a big, dark, luminous cloud lingering above my head ready to drop a hold on my account at any moment. It feels like walking on egg shells to the end of the semester. I'm all paid up, doing good in all my classes, on track to finish the semester. Yet, I still feel something waiting to jump out and throw a curve ball.

I've got my fingers crossed and hoping for the best, trying to stay positive. Now eventually I'll be stoked to graduate. And I'll let you know when I'm excited to be done, but if I'm being honest it might be after the ceremony that the relief and excitement finally sets in.