How To End Your College Years Without Any Regrets

As you embark on your final years in college, here are some tips to end it with a bang.

3

College season is starting or has already started and some of you are in your final year. CONGRATULATIONS for making it this far. Now, the rule of thumb is not to mess it up, but there’s more than that. When I was in my final year, there were a few things I would have done differently. I have listed those things along with some other nuggets that will help you to end your college years successfully:

1. Start Up A Club or Organization, or Take An Administrative Position - I founded my school’s business club and I was elected President in my junior year. I had no intention running it my senior year, because I wanted to focus on the Pre-Law Society. I was elected as Vice-President and helped to increase membership as well as organize events. My biggest regret was not starting an LGBT organization. I was asked several times to do it, but I didn’t think I was the right person. In retrospect, I see it how it was needed and how it could have had an impact. I know several people who would have kept it going. Starting or leading a club or organization is the best way to leave a lasting impression.
  2. Do An Internship - Some of you have already completed an internship, while others are still looking. Either case is great, but for those who haven’t done either one, then you need to get started on it immediately. Although, I had a lot of work experience prior to entering college, I didn’t have any experience in the career field that I wanted to go into. It has really diminished my chances for jobs and opportunities in that industry. My only options are to start my own business or to get an internship in an MBA program. I decided to do both. Internships will get you closer to your career goals.
  3. Pick Up A Minor - I know for some of you that’s almost impossible but I was only one class, and one study abroad program from getting a minor in Spanish. If you are only three classes from getting a minor: go for it. A minor helps you to grow your skills and in this world, that what really counts.
  4. Take Lots Of Pictures/Videos - Apps like Instagram and SnapChat help us to record our memories, but go beyond that. Obviously, you can’t post every photo or video that you take, but take them anyway. Save them to your phone with any cloud storage system like iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. Also, save them to your computer and just for good measure, save them to an external drive. While I have my memories in my head, as the saying goes, “a picture is worth a thousand.” You will be very appreciative when you look over those photos and videos and reflect on the good times.
  5. Create A LinkedIn Page - if you haven’t started your LinkedIn account, GET ON IT RIGHT NOW!!! More and more prospective employers and business owners are using LinkedIn. Also online job sites like Indeed, CareerBuilder,Monster are allowing their users to connect their LinkedIn account to their sites. It makes it easier for users to apply for jobs so they don’t have to upload their resume every time. LinkedIn is great way to keep in contact with peers, professors, and administrators. They can a write recommendations for you on there as well. If you have a LinkedIn page, please send me an invitation to my page!
  6. Resolve Any Disagreements Quickly - I had an issue with a friend that only lasted for two weeks. Although it was his fault, it was really petty and not worth speaking to him for that duration. It almost ended our friendship. Thankfully, it didn’t and we were able to get over it. If you have any disagreements with anybody in your final year, it’s much easier to resolve it than to hold a feelings animosity.The best thing to do is to forgive that person, even if it’s their fault.
  7. Don’t do anything stupid - I know so many people who got to the end and did something really stupid to either get suspended or expelled. If you don’t finish your college education, it’s very difficult to restart it. When I dropped out of college, it took me almost a decade to go back to college. Fortunately, my school took my former college credits, but I know a lot of people who were not giving that option. So avoid anything or anyone that will cost you your college education. IT’S NOT WORTH IT!!!

The conclusion is that you want to finish strong, so you want make an easy transition back into society, assuming you don’t go to graduate school immediately. In addition, you want to leave a legacy and a mark that can’t be erased.