How Do You Like Them Apples?

How Do You Like Them Apples?

"Son of a bitch... He stole my line." - Robin Williams (Good Will Hunting)

17
How Do You Like Them Apples?
Meghan Murphy

For a while, a certain quote said by the great Robin Williams has stuck with me, especially now, and it comes from one of my favorite movies, Good Will Hunting.

You will have bad times, but they will always wake you up to the stuff you weren't paying attention to.”

So much of that movie stayed with me after seeing it, yet it is that single line that I never forgot because to me, it holds completely true. I believe that life is full of ups and downs, and it is because of the bad times, that make the good times and memories all the more special. I think we all struggle with dwelling on negativity, I know I do. Sometimes you just can’t help it. But, it is during those times that it is crucial to get your butt up and live life.

In this past week alone, I have experienced triumph in running 6.2 miles for the first time, cried after running said miles, called my mom in a panic because I have no clue what to do with my life, loved what I saw in the mirror, was disgusted by what I saw in the mirror, and I’ve also felt jealousy and happiness; all during seven days. Not every moment in life will be perfect or amazing, but life isn’t supposed to be that way. Somehow, in so many ways, we find things to make us smile and laugh and even appreciate the times we need a good cry. Crying is good; it cleans out your eyes. You don’t have to keep it together all the time. Of course I am working on practicing this same skill but, it’s going to take me a lifetime.

For now, I can safely say that life is just dandy. I love where I am; UNH’s campus is beautiful and I couldn’t have asked for a more comfortable dorm or two better roommates. Seriously, I love them so much I’m actually already starting to miss them for when we go away for winter break. I’m thankful and so proud to be a part of the rowing team and everyone I’ve met is so special in their own ways which makes practice, yard work, and races all the more entertaining.

I’m grateful I’ve made one of my best friends here; Emmaline. She’s so beautiful and spunky, and I love that we’ve loved each other since we met. It’s funny that we can’t be seen without each other, and it shocking we didn’t know one another existed before UNH. I love that she’s as gaseous as I am, loves food and sleeping, laughing and just being herself. Thank God she’s in my life.

Monique and Fran have done nothing but make me happy since moving into Devine. Monique is down to Earth and has definitely made her way into my life as someone I’ll never forget. She loves laughing, and talking, and living life. Fran is just, well, FRAN-tastic! She’s so smart and hardworking, I love talking to her about music, and being able to share so many smiles with her every day.

My “gorgeous British friend who lives next door” told me to write this (Bailey). But actually, Princess Bailey Hewlett is a respectful gent, in fact he was Hogwart’s Head Boy and could not be any more deserving of that title. Bailey is the kind of person who just randomly shows up for milk from your fridge and ends up sitting in your dorm room for the rest of the night even though he keeps saying he has homework and has to leave. I can’t believe he’s only here for this year because honestly I’m gonna miss him terribly when he leaves.

The men and women on the rowing team are many of the reasons I wake up each morning. I never want to give up on them.

Coach Zack never ceases to make you pee your pants laughing, with some sort of Jimmy Kimmel reference or unorthodox warmup routine.

Reed somehow manages to be the only person who always laughs at my “Shirts and Skins” joke and makes a funny face when he sees me on campus.

Aidan and Henry always find a way to say the best movie quotes that I didn’t realize anyone else knew, JT has some sort of profound forestry story to tell, and I could go on and on about how much I appreciate Tom’s facial expressions and natural ability to shoot hoops.

Melissa has just as much energy as me, if not more, and constantly surprises me. She just knows when to make you smile and when to focus; she’s so down to Earth.

I could write a novel about every one of my teammates, and perhaps I will one day. For now, please know that I am SO thankful for all of you, and so honored to be a part of this team.

To the most important people in my life, my family, I don’t know what to say besides thank you. Thank you for always loving and supporting me. Without you, I honestly would not be here. (Seriously, thanks mom and dad for helping to put me through college, it was either or this or going to Disney!) (Hopefully you understood that reference). Timmy, you are my best buddy, and I am so proud of the young man you are. I love you guys to pieces.

No matter the tough experiences that lie ahead, I’m terribly appreciative of the amazing memories I’ve already made and the ones yet to come. Thank God for the good times and the bad times.