How Do I Fix A Garage Door That Is Off Track?

Garage Door

17

A garage door is often overlooked until it malfunctions. For instance, if your garage door is off track, it can be a major inconvenience. So, in this article, the Chicago Garage Door site will explain how to fix a garage door that is off track. In addition, the site will provide some tips on how to prevent your garage door from going off track in the future. Read on to understand everything related to your garage door malfunction.

Off-Track Garage Doors: How To Tell

The first step is determining whether your garage door is off track. The off-track garage door;

-Makes strange noises when opening or closing

- Sticks when opening or closing

-Does not close or open all the way

-Opens or closes unevenly

-Has a gap between the rollers and track

-The tracks are warped

If you notice any of these issues, your garage door is likely off track.

Disconnect The Opener

Once you notice that your garage door is off track, you should first disconnect the opener. This will prevent the door from closing and injuring you or someone else. To do this, pull the red cord that is attached to the opener. If you are unsure where this cord is, consult the manufacturer’s manual for your specific garage door opener model.

Causes Of An Off-Track Garage Door

Before going further, it's essential to know the causes of an off-track garage door. The most common reasons are:

-Buildup of dirt: Over time, dirt, grime, and other debris can build up on your garage door tracks. This buildup can prevent your garage door from rolling smoothly, eventually causing it to come off track.

-Poor lubrication: For smooth operation, your garage door tracks need to be adequately lubricated. If they're not, friction can build up, causing your garage door to run off its tracks.

-Loose tracks: If your garage door tracks are loose, they can easily become misaligned, preventing your garage door from rolling smoothly.

-Damaged or Dented tracks: The garage door rollers need a smooth surface to glide over. If your tracks are damaged or dented, it can cause the door to jump off its tracks.

Once you identify the cause of your off-track garage door, you can take steps to fix it.

How To Fix An Off-Track Garage Door

Don’t panic if you find that your garage door has gone off track. In most cases, you can fix it yourself with a few simple tools. A hammer, pliers, and a screwdriver are all you need.

Remove debris and lubricate

The first step is removing the debris preventing your garage door from rolling smoothly. Use a brush or rag to remove dirt, grime, or other buildups on your tracks. Once the tracks are clean, apply a lubricant. A silicone spray or garage door lube will do the trick.

Tighten loose bolts and screws

For loose garage door tracks, tighten the bolts or screws holding them in place. Be sure to check all the brackets connecting the tracks to the wall.

Return the rollers back on track

You'll need to inspect the track to locate the problem area. Once you find it, a pair of pliers will help you to open the track and put the roller back on. Use a rubber mallet to tap the tracks back into place once the rollers are back on track.

Check for proper alignment

Ensure that your track is aligned with the garage door. If it's not, use a wrench or screwdriver to adjust it. Be careful not to over-tighten the bolts, as this can cause further damage.

Test your garage door

Once you've fixed the problem, it's time to test your garage door. Open and close it several times to make sure it's working properly. If it's still not working, you may need to call a professional for help.

Consult a technical expert

If the physical damage on the tracks is too severe, it's best to consult a technical expert. A professional will have the right tools and expertise to fix your off-track garage door quickly and efficiently.

An off-track garage door is a common problem that is usually easy to fix. Identifying the cause of the problem is the first step. The most common causes are a buildup of dirt and poor lubrication, loose tracks, and damaged or dented tracks. Once you identify the cause, you can take steps to fix it yourself or call a professional for help.