How Do-Able is a Long Distance Relationship?

Tips on how to survive a long distance relationship

45

It's your senior year of high school and you begin to make decisions on your future. Which college do I attend? What do I study? Am I going to be somewhat close to my friends? How far is the drive? Never ending questions pop into your head, but one that stings a little harder when you hear it is: "I'm going away for college."

Your S.O, right hand person, is moving away for college. Ouch, that burns. What are you going to do without them everyday of your boring life? You can't not see them everyday, right? You won't survive, right? Wrong.

I'm here to tell you just how hard an LDR is, but also how surprisingly easy it is at the same time.

Let's start at the beginning of the process. They've decided where they are moving to in the fall and the first thing you did is went home and google mapped it from your campus to his, a 7 hour car ride.. not bad. Just kidding it's horrible. But a 50 minute flight? That's even better.. wait $200?!? Where am I gonna get that to go visit every month?!

Thoughts run through your mind non stop and that's when you realize just how much you are dreading it. Maybe he'll change his mind?

Soon enough the summer is coming to an end and you're out buying dorm supplies with him, holding back the lump in your throat. It all seems to be going so fast and all of a sudden you want to be back in high school, seeing him in the hallway everyday. But, life keeps moving.

It's the morning of the day you've been dreading since you heard the 5 word sentence. You try to stretch it out as much as possible, but its inevitable. You have to say goodbye. Tears, last hugs, and kisses...

Anddd he's gone.

Just like that, the person you spent the last year with by your side is moving 7 hours away. What do you do now?

This list will show you just how do-able a long distance relationship is.

1. You become independent again

Without realizing it, you became dependent of your significant other. You checked and double checked with him when you were making plans, and you changed your day to day routines to fit time in with him. But now that he is gone, you can get your nails done at any time of the day and not worry about making it over to his house without traffic. You can sleep in in the mornings and not worry about missing his text about plans he has made. You become independent again and you live by your plans.

2. Communication is your number one priority

Ever hear of the saying, "Lost in Translation?" Well yea that pretty much happens a lot while in a long distance relationship. You might be typing in a jokingly matter, but the person on the other side of the phone might take it serious. It's important to realize they aren't 20 minutes away anymore. Another thing to remember is, take time out of your day to talk to him/her. Even if it seems to be the busiest day of your life, having a quick conversation will keep you connected and close to each other. Set days and times that are good for both of you and away from distractions. After all you are still in a relationship even if you don't see them for a while. Communication is super super important.

3. Travel!!

One of the biggest perks of having a long distance relationship is being able to travel to see them. Getting on a plane or driving. Either way you are going somewhere you have never been before! Take pictures and enjoy it. It's like a mini vacation + bae.. what else do you need?

4. If you can survive a long distance relationship, you can survive anything.

I think this one is extremely important to know. What annoys the hell out of me is when a couple survives an LDR in college, but breaks up afterwards and everyone says what a waste of time. That, was not a waste of time. That shows just how strong they are as individuals and how strong they were as a couple. Yes sometimes it just doesn't work out. But it is most definitely not a waste of time. A LDR is nothing to look over, it is hard work on both ends with a lot of trust involved, and if you make it through, not a lot will bring you down.

5. (This one is for the girls) You can have off days.. or weeks.

Didn't shave your legs for a couple days? Oops.. Not covering up those baggy under eyes? Oops.. Believe me its nice to look pretty everyday and wear pretty things, but nothing compares to wearing sweatpants and no make up to class and not caring who is looking at you. With no one, but your SO to impress, why bother?

6. Trust

The biggest test for trust is a long distance relationship. Whether they are an hour or 15 hours away, you have to trust them to do the right thing, but you also have to trust them to tell you everything. You won't be by their side every minute anymore, so you have to put all your trust in them. If you don't, it won't work. How can someone enjoy themselves when you question their every move. You have to trust they will do the right thing, and if they are fully committed to your relationship and you, they will.

7. No more petty arguments

Nothing is worse than having an argument with someone that is so far away that you can't hug them and apologize. So you learn to avoid arguments and talk it out more. Unless you're stubborn.. like me. But after a couple of arguments that get resolved, you realize how pointless it is to be arguing when it won't matter by tomorrow anyway. Don't waste your time on arguments if they aren't that important.

8. Patience!!

"Delievered 9:47 PM" You look at the clock and it's 10:30... you're pissed off and text the classic "going to sleep, have a good night." Patience!!!! As much as you think he is ignoring you, he is most likely not looking at his phone and your text saying "I choose to ignore you now." He's busy. He has a life too and homework and friends (and fifa) He doesn't purposely forget to look at his phone or charge it before he goes out, you just need patience, and before you know it you'll hear a *ping*

9. Little gifts are the best and mean the most.

Whether he sends you a letter or flowers, it means so much more to you than anything else. Having something that he took time and energy to do, gives you the extra boost that you need sometimes. There is no better feeling than knowing someone is thinking of you, especially when your biggest worry is they will forget about you.

10. The time you spend together means so much more

Who knew that holding hands while walking down the street felt that good? You do, when you haven't done it for 2 months and now you are. Nothing compares to finally having him home again and being able to do whatever you want, whenever you want again. Everything feels so much better. You won;t take those silly moments for granted anymore. You won't go on your phone while at dinner together because this is what you've wanted for the past 2 months. It's what makes it worth it. I's what makes it do-able... after all absence makes the heart grow fonder.