How To Deal When Everyone You Know Is Getting Engaged And Having Kids

If one more engagement Instagram post will put you over the edge, this is for you.

44
Engagement Ring Bible

After a certain age, engagement photos and baby announcements begin to cover the walls of social media and suddenly, everyone you graduated with has set a wedding date and has picked out the names of their children.

If you are on the opposite side of the spectrum, seeing these posts can cause a bit of envy and self-reflection. You may question if you are doing something wrong if you are not in a serious relationship, or you may wonder what everyone else is doing right to find these forms of happiness.

Fortunately, there is still time. There has never been a set age or deadline for someone to get married or have children. You may not have a significant other, and If you think about it, would you really want to rush into something like that just for the Instagram photo or the Facebook post? No. Those are supposed to be milestones in your lifetime that are to be approached with caution!

Luckily, there are plenty of other things you can do to feel as if you are living a more fulfilling life. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

Use This Time To Gain Perspective

Would your life be entirely different if you had a ring on your finger or were expecting a baby? Absolutely. If you are not in that situation, look at this positively. You have learned to be an adult on your own without a significant other or a child to look after. You are learning about yourself and taking time to better yourself before you can commit to major experiences such as marriage and childbirth. Alone time may be vital for you at this point.

Adulthood Is Not Given, It Is Earned.

Just because you put a ring on your finger or you decided that it was time that the birds met the bees, it does not automatically make you an adult. Learning the importance of responsibility and obligations can be crucial to adulthood. Being independent is the number one factor in becoming an adult, and if you don't feel that you are 100 percent independent, then that gives you something to work on during this time.

Don't Be Selfish.

You are down in the dumps because one of your friends has a shiny new diamond on her finger and one of your other friends is expecting a child in 9 months. Mostly, this is fueled by envy. Try not to be selfish because of envy. Make sure you are still being a good friend to those people during their milestone moments. Congratulate them, help them plan and stay involved.

If you are most concerned about how you are going to document it, make sure that you can capture a good picture no matter what you may be doing and if you really have to, go ahead and post it to social media. You can also take time to find a new hobby, take a class, make some new friends or really go out and look for experiences that you may be seeking. Instead of spending money on material items, you could choose to spend your money on experiences and make the most of it.

I know engagement envy and baby fever can cause emotional distress, but looking at yourself and learning to appreciate all that is coming your way is most important during this time. There is going to be someone out there for you. There is going to come a time where having children will be a part of your life. At this moment, why not spread positivity to those who may be entering a huge era in their lives and someday they will be doing the same for you!