Here're All The Ways You Can Use Turmeric In Your Cooking

Spice up your cooking with turmeric!

82
Learn To Grow / YouTube

You don’t have to look far to see that turmeric is everywhere and taking over the health world, one meal at a time. Whether you follow healthy blogs or even while you shop for groceries, turmeric is all around you, including on the Starbucks menu. The yellow spice has long been a staple of Indian food and culture but has emerged as a popular addition to smoothies and even beauty products. What is the reason for this spice becoming such a hit? The main ingredient is curcumin, which is quite beneficial for your health and the treatment of serious diseases.

It is specifically the anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin that make it such a popular compound in the health and wellness arena. While some inflammation in the body is a necessary mechanism of our immune system, sometimes inflammation gets out of control, causing serious health problems. Adding turmeric to your daily menu plan can help to control inflammation in the body, reducing symptoms of serious problems such as Crohn’s disease, stomach ulcers, IBS and has even been linked to preventing the spread of cancer cells.

Studies have shown that turmeric is more effective when mixed with black pepper and a fat source, as they improve the digestion and absorption of the spice. You can buy ground turmeric or fresh turmeric root in most stores and there are numerous uses for it when it comes to food. The flavor is fairly intense, so it is recommended that you start with a small amount and add more if you want. Be careful when cooking with turmeric because this powerful spice likes to stain clothing.

Ground turmeric can be added to your daily diet in multiple ways.

• Used in curries for centuries, turmeric brings color and flavor to any curry or stew. When you cook the vegetables for your curry or stew, you can add one teaspoon of turmeric.
  • Blend ground turmeric into smoothies. Because of the intense flavor, you can add a single teaspoon which will not really be detectable. If you want to taste the spice, then you can always add more. Either way, it is a great way to add turmeric to your diet and if you add some coconut oil, you are sure to increase the absorption of the spice.
  • One or two teaspoons can be added to any soup, homemade or canned to add flavor and a bright, colorful hue.
  • When you are cooking rice for any meal, add turmeric to the water as the rice simmers to add color, flavor and health benefits.
  • Make your macaroni and cheese healthier by mixing in a teaspoon of turmeric to the cheese sauce. You can do this with both the homemade and boxed versions of the classic side dish.
  • Add a little something extra to your side vegetables. Sprinkle ground turmeric on your braised greens like kale, collards or cabbage to create new and exciting side dishes.
  • Make pancakes golden by mixing 1/3 a teaspoon of turmeric into your dry pancake mix. You end up with a colorful breakfast that packs extra health benefits.
  • Spice up your hummus by adding a special turmeric topper. Mix ¼ teaspoon of ground turmeric with toasted sesame seeds. Sprinkle on top of hummus for an exciting dip.
  • When you are cooking lentils or other legumes, add turmeric, onions and olive oil. The vegetables can be served as is or mixed with some cooked quinoa to form patties. Use this as a hamburger substitute or as a side dish for any meal.
  • You can spice up your tea by adding ¼ teaspoon to the brew. Put the turmeric in your mug before pouring in the hot water. You can also combine turmeric with hot water for a tisane.
  • Create your own soothing beverage by mixing turmeric, coconut milk, and honey. You end up with an earthy and comforting beverage that delivers powerful health benefits to your digestive tract.

If you prefer to use fresh turmeric root, there are just as many options for you to add this beneficial spice to your diet. To use the fresh root, you first need to peel it just as you do with ginger, which happens to be a close cousin to turmeric. The easiest way to peel turmeric is by using the edge of a spoon, then you can grate with a microplane grater. You can also choose to cut whole pieces, too. Be sure to wrap any unused turmeric root tightly in plastic and store in the fridge. This will keep it fresh and should last for a week or ten days.

• Just as with ground turmeric, you can add fresh turmeric root to smoothies. Simply add a one-inch slice to your smoothie or even add it to fresh pressed juices.
  • Freshly grated turmeric is great for marinades for your favorite meats, be it chicken, turkey, beef or fish. Adding one teaspoon of grated turmeric root adds flavor and color to any sauce or marinade.
  • Grated turmeric can be mixed into any salad or stirred into the salad dressing if preferred.
  • When making a stir-fry, freshly grated turmeric makes a good addition. A teaspoon or two can be added as you cook the vegetables allowing the flavor to really soak into the food before the sauce is added.
  • Spice up your breakfast by adding turmeric to your scrambled eggs. Fresh turmeric root can be sprinkled into eggs, quiche or frittata dishes. The color and flavor will enhance your eggs in every way.
  • Turmeric is not just for entrees. You can add it to yogurt to create a savory yogurt bowl. Top plain yogurt with one tablespoon of grated turmeric as well as some black pepper and a pinch of sea salt and olive oil for an interesting but tasty version of a regular snack.
  • You can enhance the flavor and color of your pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins or pumpkin loaf. Stir in one teaspoon of fresh shredded turmeric root to the batter and mix thoroughly. Once baked you will notice a more intense flavor and color.