How CISV Changed My Life

How CISV Changed My Life

It is more than just a summer camp, trust me.

2555
How CISV Changed My Life
Zabrina Motwani

For anyone who knows me, they know CISV International is part of 80 percent of my daily conversation topics, and that almost everything I own has a CISV logo on it. Some people think CISV is brand and I just go crazy online shopping for their stuff. When I tell people about CISV, sometimes I get responses like “Oh, it's just a summer camp.” But, oh, it is more than just a summer camp, it is a lifestyle. It is the reason for who I am now, and it has had the biggest impact on my life.

So what is this CISV, CVS, or CV thing my shirts and pillows have stamped all over? CISV is an international organization that promotes peace education by building global friendships. Founded in 1951 by child psychologist Doris Allen, CISV is now active in more than 60 countries, offering a wide array of learning programs for children and youth, giving everyone an opportunity to experience bits and pieces of the world, and meeting people with similar ideals who are constantly striving for world unison and peace. CISV allows one to work and learn together with people from around the globe, while forming the kind of friendships that last a lifetime.

It is hard to image how four weeks can have such a big effect on someone, regardless of your age. For me, it was the most eye-opening experience, and CISV became such a big part of my life. Yes, CISV is a lot of fun and provides you with the best stories, but the biggest value of CISV is what it teaches you and how it inspires you. CISV is an organization that focuses on teaching children to become active leaders in their communities and take initiative for change. It motivates participants to constantly engage in conversations that matter, while being respectful to everyone’s background. CISV has given me theopportunity to immerse myself in cultural experiences that have put me in uncomfortable situations, but also teach me how to learn from them.

I have participated in about six summer programs in the past nine years, as well as being actively involved in Ecuador’s national chapter. Of course, the experience I had when I was 11 was very different from the experiences I had when I was 13, 17, or 19, but they weren’t different because one was better than the other or because they were in different countries. Each experience was unique because all the activities and debriefings were different, always teaching me how to see the world from multiple perspectives. All the experiences have been truly amazing, and I have had the opportunity to staff one of the programs, structured for 11-year-olds. It amazed me the types of discussions I could have with these kids, and how smart and reflective they were. I was able to see them change in the course of four weeks, and I know they will grow up to be individuals with positive mentalities who care about the world and the people in it, regardless of cultural differences.

The people I have met through this organization have become my role models. I now see them working on projects to help their communities through education or environmental programs, as well as becoming true leaders in their communities, and feel so grateful to have these people in my life. I have made friends from all over the world who have taught me the real meaning of dealing with long distance, and even though I don't get to see them as often, every reunion feels like we never got separated. I honestly never thought I would open up as much with people I've meet for less than a month, but it a great example of how CISV brings people together regardless of their cultural background.

CISV really changed my life, and I am completely sure it has done the same for thousands of other CISVers. Through CISV, I have become the weirdest, most open-minded, accepting version of myself.

(And if you are a CISVer, let’s virtually do the Pony Song because I know you are awesome!)