How Being A Tolkien Fanatic Has Helped Me Through The Toughest Semesters

In the lyrical words of Pippin, "Home is behind the world ahead."

102
wallpapercave.com

If I have learned anything since falling in love with J.R.R Tolkien’s work at a very young age — "Lord of the Rings" in particular — it is that his work is widely underappreciated by many individuals in my generation. Yes, as a child I fell in love with the unique but highly accurate depictions of these fictional, miraculous characters on the screen, but that love only grew into appreciation as I watched them more and more, until I was finally old enough to understand the books. My fascination for beautifully adorned actors became intrigue once I delved more deeply into every little detail of the books which then became an even deeper appreciation for the literature, as well as inspiration behind every word. Looking back at what once was simply a movie in which I would sit down and enjoy its moving colors and beautifully-orchestrated music is now something I realize was a vital part of my development, creating a doorway between childhood awe and what now inspires me every single day, even in the most seemingly minuscule ways. Anyone who knows me, knows very well that I relate many instances to Tolkien, and can pull quotes from his novels pertaining to nearly any situation. Though this is often laughed at, it is one of the sources from which I draw inspiration, motivation, and that drive which keeps me moving forward.

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time [or assignment] that is given us.”

Though college can be wearying — teeming with assignments and schedules and everything-else-college-related — it can simmer down to the simple fact that in most cases, we students have absolutely no control over what assignments are given to us. We may scream, and cry, and wallow in the many nooks and crannies of EKU’s campus, but at the end of the day, we must rise to the occasion; do the massive amounts of homework, prepare for those dreadful speeches, sign our videos on GoReact, write a 78,000 word paper in three days, and many others so that we may learn. Dragging my feet to finish assignments because I feel — in the moment of exhaustion and defeat — the unfairness of such excessive work has only proved to augment the stress of school. I have come to realize that by swallowing my reluctance, putting one foot in front of the other, and deciding to finish the dang work is how I learn that what I once saw as a fatalistic task given to me by my professors was merely an experience I grow to appreciate — if I allow myself. Did Frodo decide to have the ring of power forced upon him? No, he did not; however, Gandalf very calmly explained to him that we can’t always choose where in this life we are placed, nor what is placed in our lives, but what we are given is the ability to decide what to do with that which is placed before us.

“Faithless is he [or she] that says farewell when the road darkens.”

I have more than established that college is tough; however, stating this fact is much easier than actually overcoming it. I am one who let the stresses of college affect me, and dropped out for a semester. I even considered never returning. Though other factors should be considered regarding dropping out of school, in which some cases are justifiable and unavoidable, in my case it was simply because I was stressed out. As Gimli put it, my road darkened and I was nearly faithless enough to quit. Faithless in my own abilities to overcome it. This quote encouraged me even though I was uninterested in encouragement. I returned to school, and will be finishing soon. Though to finish this particular scene in “The Fellowship of the Ring,” after Gimli states to Elrond, “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens,” Elrond retorts, “Maybe, but let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall” (p. 274). This is regarding other justifiable and unavoidable reasons for walking away from something because it becomes too difficult. While it is empowering as well as inspiring to persevere through even the most formidable times, it is best to never carry more than you can handle. If you walk into something that is far more than you can take, there is no shame in stepping back, reevaluating, and taking a minute to breathe. You will find your way eventually.

“Still round the corner there may wait, a new road or a secret gate.”

Pursuing not only my degree, but also my hobbies and passions with enthusiasm, I channel my inner Bilbo in which I perceive each day as an adventure. I may stumble along the way, but I anticipate a new experience — whether good or bad — ahead of me; something I will learn from. It can be so tempting to stay unmoving, and keep in my comfort zone, but what may wait ahead is far too compelling not to chase. Greatness is never discovered nose deep in iFunny, nor in the abyss of Netflix — though I’m guilty of both. It is discovered when you venture into the unknown, hungry for knowledge and experience, all the while gaining satisfaction from the adventure of it all. Never pass up an opportunity when it’s presented before you, because you never know what it could hold, or what doors it may open. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to attend college, and better myself. That is something I have learned not to take for granted, and I intend to seek out every opportunity I can while I’m at it, anticipating what lies beyond. Try to view every day as a gift, and anticipate what it may offer. In the words of Bilbo Baggins, “I’m going on an adventure!”

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say (pg. 35).