How a Professional Motivational Speaker Explains Motivation

For a lot of people, they need that initial increase, charge, injection of motivation to get them started. When you motivate yourself, this gets you looking at things in a brand-new way and realising what is really possible.

24

For a lot of people, they need that initial increase, charge, injection of motivation to get them started. When you motivate yourself, this gets you looking at things in a brand-new way and realising what is really possible. This is what Duncan is hired for as a motivational speaker. Alongside great material, lots of actionable takeaways, and a motivating and instructional speech, Duncan is an extremely popular international inspirational speaker and keynote speaker.

Often people presume motivation comes in the form of a magic bullet, rocket fuel or an amazing tablet that is unexpectedly going to make them more inspired. Just like many things in life, there is hardly ever a quick fix, immediate motivator, or anything similar to that. Motivation can come as an 'ah -ha' moment or come in the form of a new way of looking at something in a different way to propel you into taking action.

Inspiration is derived from the Latin word moveo; indicating to move, agitate, provoke, or inspire. Hence, the very first part of Inspiration comes from the Latin-- 'to move' and the 2nd element, in its most literal form means 'action'. So the word motivation actually implies-- To provoke or agitate into action.

As an example, if you wish to be inspired into losing weight, the motivation can often originate from being confronted with a brand-new point of view. You may see yourself in the reflection of a mirror as looking a bit cubby or might recognise you are having breathing or skin difficulties, or someone has actually made an impolite comment about you.

Whatever the factor, we are all motivated in different ways. This motivation likewise originates from various places too. Certain people's motivations can be intrinsic, meaning that it is found internally. This could be a frame of mind, belief or worth that motivates us into action. Similarly, motivation can originate from an extrinsic source and be the outcome of external forces. Groups or individuals are motivated or influenced to alter or act through both non-conscious and mindful motives.

A lot of people wait and wait to try and discover the best form of motivation to make things take place however usually inspiration and motivation originates from a deeper place. A location within. When something motivates people enough to take action - this is the magic tablet (if you like) that gives them the motivation they require. And therein lies the catch-- they don't know what the magic pill is to inspire them, so they do not understand what it is or where to discover it till it presents itself.

As a motivational speaker myself, when I deliver my masterclasses or workshops, I'm typically approached to motivate others. It seems that a lot of people are searching for someone else to provide the motivation for them and somebody else has the secrets to make it happen. It could be argued that this is perhaps why 'motivational speaker' is such a popular search term instead of ' motivating speaker', sales speaker, 'keynote speaker' or leadership speaker. Postponing the responsibility of motivation and handing it to someone else, allows them to relax and if they aren't inspired-- you can point the finger elsewhere. Their self-talk could be "Well I wasn't inspired by that" and as a result, very little changes.

The other danger of passing the responsibility to someone else is that you end up being reliant on that form of motivation. So, if you work with Duncan Stevens as a motivational speaker for your meeting, sales-kick off, annual meeting or business event once a year, you can wind up falling under the trap of just being inspired once a year. If your inspiration boost comes from an external source there is less sustainability in it unless you hire them to come and provide more routine workshops, keynotes, or masterclasses.

Whilst the majority of customers do not work with Duncan to come in every week to keep their leaders and groups encouraged and equally numerous a lot of people can't manage to pay a personal trainer or nutritionist or life coach every week, motivation has to come from within. One of the most powerful ways to stay inspired or create a culture of motivation is to nurture it from within. This can be called self-motivation. Similarly so, we need to be able to distance our motivation levels from concrete items around us. Self-talk can be incredibly hazardous to our inspiration levels. If you find yourself saying "Well there is no healthy food for sale here, I may too just purchase some chips" or "I can't connect with any of my customers as I do not have my phone to hand" then these are reasons not to do things.

Motivation then boils down to a way to reframe these negative thoughts. Even much better would be to plan for these possible issues and take a healthy lunch with you or get in touch with customers through e-mail as alternatives.

I believe inspiration can be made internally. You know what inspires you. You could be driven by cash, food, an alcoholic drink, winning at something or more. Tapping into those chauffeurs that already exist within you can be very encouraging. Compromising these can be a powerful motorist.

Duncan Stevens is an expert motivational speaker and influence and persuasion authority. He describes among the 6 principles of persuasion as being scarcity. People say yes to things that are rare, limited, or decreasing in availability. If you use that same influence frame of mind to yourself and do not permit yourself to delight in one of your joys or enjoyments in life, then this can be an incredibly powerful form of inspiration or self-motivation.

Duncan Stevens has been an international motivational speaker and keynote speaker for over a decade and inspires business through his powerful Effective Influence Model, to become more effective and more influential more often.