Why Your Household Cleaners Are Killing You

And safe alternative cleaners.

8

Did you know that cleaner manufacturing companies are not required by law to disclose their ingredients list? They can put corrosive, carcinogenic and downright lethal ingredients in their products and nobody would ever know any different. And that's exactly what they do. These past few weeks, I have been doing some of my own research and have made the decision to switch over to natural non-toxic cleaning products. There are way too many alarming cleaning ingredients out there; allow me to offer you a few examples.

1. Quarternary ammonium compounds

These are commonly found in antibacterial household products. For some reason, we are all about killing 99.9 percent of germs as we believe that this will keep us healthy; this is, however, quite the contrary. "Quats" not only contributes to antibiotic resistance (which is now affecting animals who have never been exposed to antibiotics), but it also has been known to cause respiratory issues, such as asthma, in many people.

2. Sodium hydroxide

This is found in oven and drain cleaners. This compound is exceptionally damaging to the skin and can result in burns.

3. Paraffin and lead

These chemicals are regularly used in the production of candles. I am aware that candles are not household cleaners but, given how popular they are, I still thought it was something worth mentioning. When you burn a candle that contains these ingredients you are essentially releasing cancer causing chemicals into the air for you to breathe in.

Scary stuff, huh? The reason companies continue to make more and more products that are harmful to our health is because they have no regulation. Why do we continue to by these products? Because it takes the scrubbing power out of cleaning and makes our job easier. What if I told you there are ways to clean your house with ease without worrying about risking your and your family's health to do so? Well it is absolutely possible; allow me to show you how!

1. Vinegar

Vinegar is the holy grail of cleaning products. I literally put that sh** on everything. It is a natural disinfectant (no need to worry about antibiotic resistance here), deodorizer and can kill most species of mold. I will agree that the smell of vinegar is rather pungent, but it evaporates quickly and leaves you with a fresh smelling room.

2. Lemon

Use it to clean hard water deposits, whiten your clothes, clean metal and glass surfaces and much more!

3. Castile soap

My favorite Castile soap is the Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. It is advertised as having 18 uses, but I personally use it for washing dishes, cleaning produce and as hand soap. Make sure to use the dilution recipes listed on the bottle or it WILL dry out your hands!

4. Diluted hydrogen peroxide

This cleaner is great for cleaning the toilet or the shower. Just let it sit for a few minutes, and it works like a charm!

5. Essential oils

I am just as in love with a house that smells good as the next person. Pour your favorite essential in an oil diffuser and enjoy. If you also just like the aesthetic of having candles burning, try burning a beeswax candle. It is free of toxic chemicals and actually releases negative ions that clean the air while burning. Neat!

I hope that this information has been helpful to you and that you decide to do a cleaner detox! Ever since I switched over to using natural cleaners, my house has felt cleaner. You will not have to worry about touching or breathing in any more toxic chemicals, and that feels pretty darn good.