What's Behind The Aesthetic Of A Good House Plant Anyways?
Nature Animals

What's Behind The Aesthetic Of A Good House Plant, Anyways?

Three ways house plants can improve our lives.

118

Owning house plants has become a popular trend, but why is that? We spend a huge chunk of time indoors either at work, sitting in class, at home, eating out at restaurants, shopping, seeing the doctor, getting coffee, and working out at the gym. These are confined spaces with controlled air. The quality of the air depends on the season; during the summer air conditioning is common and in the winter the heaters are running. House plants create a natural aesthetic while balancing air quality.

Air pollutants.

House plants are beneficial for cleansing the air. When we breathe, we exhale CO2. Plants absorb the CO2 and produce the oxygen we inhale. There are also many indoor pollutants, such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in which plants can absorb from the air. Although there are many technologies built into our homes that do an efficient job at eliminating these pollutants, house plants are a natural remedy which helps maintain balanced air composition.

Air humidity.

During the winter we crank our heaters full blast. This introduces hot, dry air to the space around us. Photosynthetic and respiratory processes release water vapor which increases the relative humidity of the air. According to research done at the University of Guam, this process also pulls certain toxins from the air into the soil, where it is then converted into energy for the plant. The benefits of improved humidity indoor space can help alleviate respiratory symptoms and dry skin.

Wikimedia

Stress Relief.

Maintaining healthy plants is surprisingly simple but does require some work. It's important to re-pot your plants and change the soil when they outgrow their pots. This provides them with the essential nutrients they need to grow. Watering them on a regular basis may seem like a chore but setting aside a few minutes out our busy lives to tend to our plants is a great stress relief. These are brief moments where we can reflect on our day or how our week is going. Caring for plants allows you to slow down and focus on one small task that doesn't require any hard or fast decisions.

PixabayPixabay

Not all plants are created equal.

There isn't one plant that is easier or better to grow as a beginner. They all require the same level of care and attention. Depending on the amount of sunlight your indoor space receives, you can choose any plant that suits your personality best.

Plants that are extremely resilient:

• Spider plant
  • English ivy
  • Philodendron
  • Snake plant
  • Ficus
  • Peace lily
  • Succulents
  • Air plants