Why You Should Start A House Plant Collection Immediately

Plants As Self-Care: 3 Reasons Everyone Should Start A House Plant Collection

It's not easy being green, but it's easy to put some "green" in your apartment.

59
https://www.pexels.com/photo/green-indoor-potted-plant-lot-793012/

It's a fact that everybody's getting into the whole houseplant craze. No matter where you go or who you talk to, nearly everyone has a collection of houseplants that they give cute little names and water at least once a month. The most popular of house plants has to be the succulents, which you only have to water once a month.

I won't even lie when I say that I've started to get into buying houseplants for myself. My collection currently consists of a cactus with a red top, a mini aloe vera-like plant (I think it IS aloe vera), a velvet-leafed green plant, and an orchid that requires an ice cube each week. They sit pretty on my windowsill as we speak!

me

I started getting little plants for myself because I like plants and I love having plants around me, big or small. But why should you even consider starting a collection? Here is my answer to why you should join the green side.

1. They clean the air.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/three-green-assorted-plants-in-white-ceramic-pots-776656/

Did you know houseplants can reduce toxins in your surroundings such as carbon dioxide? No, seriously! Surrounding yourself with living things can be a big factor in improving your own surroundings because all those toxins will be converted into food for the plants to help them grow.

2. Responsibility without real responsibility.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-plants-on-the-table-1005058/

If you have pets or children, you know how much of a huge responsibility they can be: you have to feed them, clean them, check to make sure their health is on point, etc. With houseplants, all you have to do is water them sometimes and go about your day. Pretty cool, right?

3. Health benefits.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/top-view-of-houseplants-on-white-background-6370/

There are several studies conducted on this matter, but the results are generally the same: Having plants around you can really be a benefit to your physical and mental health. So if you're studying for an exam and stressing, just get some plants to put in your room. Soon after, you'll be saying "What stress?!"

Since houseplants are selling like hotcakes now, you'll be hard-pressed to NOT find any anywhere. If you're stumped, though, check your local farmer's market, nurseries, or even supermarkets as a start. Be careful, though: once you get one, you MAY be tempted to get more.