6 Horror Games That Will Actually Leave You Terrified

For when scary movies just aren't getting the job done.

224
iHorror.com

I'm not brave. My entire life is one messy anxiety attack after the other. But if there's one thing I love to hate it's horror games. I buy them, obsessively, all the time, sometimes beat them, terrify myself into oblivion, and then eagerly look for the next scariest thing. Some may call it insanity but I call it a hobby. So if you're looking to push yourself to your limit and want to play some of the scariest games on the market this Halloween season, here are my personal favorites:

Warning: Light spoilers ahead

1. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

"Amnesia," released in 2010 by Frictional Games, immediately became an indie hit for its incredibly beautiful environment and unique horror survival gameplay. For those of you too young to remember, "Amnesia" was the original "play and react" game that made YouTubers like Pewdiepie famous.

The plot, at its core, is simple; you wake up in a spooky castle, you don't remember anything, and you gotta get out of there. You can run and you can hide and you can pick up clues and solve puzzles, but that's basically it. The goal is to make your way through the castle and its dungeon and discover the secrets of your past, present, and future. Oh, also you have to avoid being killed by the monsters roaming around.

They're truly horrifying creatures and you can't fight them. When you see one of these guys your options are to either run or hide or both. I am not good at chase sequences or performing well under pressure, so you can imagine how often I've died in this game. After a while you do kind of figure it out; listen for their growls, hide, wait, run, close doors, etc. But just knowing you're playing in an area that is populated with nightmare creatures leaves you a paranoid mess. It doesn't help that a unique part of the gameplay is keeping your character's "sanity" meter in check, which gets drastically reduced when looking at a monster or when left in the dark, which is necessary in order to hide. And what happens if your sanity gets too low? Well, you hallucinate even more monsters, naturally.

Fun Fact: I have yet to finish this game, however, I have watched other people play it on YouTube. Baby steps.

2. Outlast

"Outlast" isn't so much a game as it is a series of trials that tests how well you respond to being chased and surprised. Released in 2013 by Red Barrels, the game follows a freelance investigative journalist who is investigating a remote psychiatric hospital in Colorado for suspicious activity. Conveniently, you get trapped inside, so the main goal is to escape. The underlying goal, however, is to figure out why the Hell all of the hospital's patients are suddenly terrifying, flesh-eating monsters.

Like "Amnesia," you don't get to fight back against the patients in "Outlast" either. You can try sneaking, but once a patient notices you, you have only a limited amount of time to break your line of sight with them and hide under a bed or in a locker in order to evade death. You then have to wait until you think the coast is clear before emerging, and if you're wrong, you pay the ultimate price.

You might also be wondering why in that second screenshot everything has a greenish tint. Well, that's because one of "Outlast's" gimmicks is that in order to see in the game's dark passageways, you have to enact your camera's night vision. This means you play 75 percent of the game as if you were trapped in some horrifying found footage film. What's more, your camera does have a limited amount of battery life, and if you don't consistently collect the batteries scattered throughout the hospital, you get plunged into darkness, and you die.

Fun Fact: I haven't finished this game either, however, I do plan on picking this one back up in the near future, along with a bottle of wine to go with it.

3. Anna

While the last two games have been very straight horror, "Anna" falls more into the ambiguously psychological horror genre. If you're not into monsters and adrenaline inducing chase sequences, "Anna" might be more the style of game you're looking for. Released in 2012 by Kalypso Media, a lot of people called this game nothing more than a simple puzzle adventure game. But don't be fooled, it's horrifying, it's just more subtle about it.

"Anna" has no clear plot per se, but basically you, the player, wake up with no memory outside of an abandoned saw mill. At first, everything is actually quite serene, but once you get inside things quickly fall apart. As you uncover clues which lead to more, scarier, clues, which lead to uncovering even scarier clues, which slowly unravels an incredibly disturbing nightmare, this game quickly becomes both haunting and beautifully poetic.

What the game lacks in jump scares and monsters, it makes up for in ominous atmosphere and creepy implications. The horror of Anna comes in what you don't see, whether that's in things moving when they shouldn't have moved, or in stories unraveling in ways you sure hoped they wouldn't. It's incredibly creepy and ends on a nail-biting cliffhanger that makes you question the sanity of the character you've been playing the whole time.

Fun Fact: While I did actually finish this game, I used a lot of walkthroughs. The puzzles are hard, and the chilling atmosphere doesn't help with concentration either.

4. Slender: The Eight Pages

You can play this game right now, for free, legally. "Slender" is an indie freeware browser game that went viral in 2012 as being one of the creepiest games of the year. Developed by Parsec Productions and based on the quasi-folklore meme Slender Man, "Slender" has a very simple premise: You, the first person player, need to travel through a wooded area and find 8 pages of a manuscript in the middle of the night. The catch is that as the game goes on, Slender Man starts getting closer and closer to catching you. Every now and again you'll turn a corner and he'll be there, the screen will turn to static, and you'll have only a short amount of time to sprint away before it's a game over.

Now listen, I'll be honest, the graphics aren't that good, the music is all but absent, Slender Man never even physically moves, and the whole game lasts maybe 10 minutes max. And yet, this is a great horror game. One of the best, even. Like "Anna" the horror is in the subtlety of knowing you're being followed but not seeing anything. At some point, you'll forget that he's even watching you, and 5 pages down you'll turn around to keep moving and there he is, a simple piano chord sounds out, the screen turns to static, and the game is over. It's simple, it's short, and it's creepy as hell.

Fun Fact: I've never collected all 8 pages because if there's one thing I'm worse at than scary games, it's time management.

5. Five Nights at Freddy's

Let's just get this out of the way first: F*ck this game. I initially played the app version when it first started going viral a couple of years ago and that was more than enough for me. However, "Five Nights at Freddy's" is actually a booming franchise, with several full games available to purchase on Steam. The franchise is doing so well, in fact, that the creator is even thinking of releasing a non-horror RPG sometime in 2017.

The plot for the first few games is more or less the same: You're a nighttime security guard at a Chuck-E-Cheese-type pizzeria that has cartoon animatronics that roam freely at night. However, you find out via phone call that if the animatronics encounter a human, i.e. you, they will kill them. So, you have to defend yourself through the night by tracking security camera footage and using your very limited light sources to check and make sure that everything is clear in the hallway outside your office. If you run out of power or forget to check something, however, you have to sit in the dark like an idiot and wait for Freddy to jump scare you to death.

It's both the most humiliating and terrifying game I've ever played. The lore and story are creepy on their own, but if you're not into jump scares, don't even bother. This game is 99 percent jump scares.

Fun Fact: I'm not into jump scares.

6. Until Dawn

There's a lot of reasons why Supermassive's 2015 horror survival game "Until Dawn" is not only one of my favorite horror games ever but also one of my favorite games ever in general. Combining elements from all sorts of horror genres, "Until Dawn" is as twistedly terrifying as it is well written, well acted, and well designed. Utilizing the "choose your own fate" type of story telling device made famous by TellTale Games, "Until Dawn" lets you control your own horror story as it unfolds right before your eyes.

The plot follows eight friends who come together on a spooky, cold, isolated mountain to remember their two friends who had disappeared a year before on the same creepy mountain under suspicious and creepy circumstances. But nothing is as it seems, and the story unfolds differently depending on the choices you make and the clues you uncover while exploring. Each character is shockingly well-rounded and interesting, both fitting and breaking different stereotypes of horror depending on how you play your game.

The main thing about "Until Dawn" is that you are just as much a character as anyone else, and the game will tailor itself to what you are terrified of. It's a lot of fun to play both alone and with friends, and if you're a fan of horror movies this is the one game you're gonna want to give a shot. It's not just jump scares and gimmicks, but it's also a well-rounded, immersive experience that takes horror gaming to a whole new level.

Fun Fact: I've played and "beaten" this game three times. If you're a fan of horror stories, check this one out this Halloween.