What You Didn't Know About Hooters Girls

What You Didn't Know
1674

The job interview is not what most might expect. There are no real physical requirements, per se; Hooters Girls do not share any one common characteristic – aside from being female. We don’t have to wear a bunch of makeup or have bleach blonde hair. Hooters Girls come in many shapes, sizes, and backgrounds. Like anyone who works in a service industry, the most important attribute of any Hooters Girl is her attitude. A successful server is positive, happy, and possess a genuine desire to add value to her customers’ experience by providing the type of service that reinforces the reality that their patronage – and hopefully their corresponding tip – is appreciated! While everyone has bad days, it’s important that once a Hooter’s Girl puts on her uniform, she does her best to make each guest feel welcome, special, and valued.

Despite the fact that the Hooter’s brand has been iconic in the American lexicon for decades, many misconceptions exist about Hooters Girls. Having worked for this company for over two years, I have heard many of these mischaracterizations repeatedly and thought I would take this opportunity to provide some insights to ‘set the record straight’ among those who might not have the benefit of first-hand insight.

Myth 1: Hooter’s Girls Are Promiscuous.

It is a mistake to assume that a Hooters Girl’s pleasant nature translates into low standards for physical affection. While some of our customers may want us to be promiscuous, many of us have steady, long-term boyfriends and we were raised to respect ourselves enough to courageously thwart unwanted advances. The belief that Hooters Girls are easy can take a toll on a relationship, but like anything of value, good relationships endure despite challenges. In fact, it is fair to say that the best relationships use challenges as stepping stones rather than stumbling blocks. A man who dates a Hooters Girl must be confident and trustworthy because if he is not, his own demons will likely haunt him anytime his girlfriend is wearing that iconic uniform. Hooters Girls are good girls, sorry guys.

Myth 2: Hooters Girls Make Hundreds of Dollars a Day.

I wish! Just like anyone in the service industry, we have good days and bad days when it comes to tips. Waitress minimum wage is $5.03. For the most part, we often get tipped less than 20%. Let me just say that such a practice is rude when the service is good…especially when alcohol is ordered or a server has been waiting on a large party. Please tip your servers. Generally speaking, the money is good considering I am a 20-year-old fulltime college student, but there are situations where I actually lose money because I get stiffed on a tip and I have to pay support staff (hostess, bartender, bus-personnel). Also, no – the company does not pay for servers to get boob jobs – that’s a common question and it’s not part of our non existent benefits package!

Myth 3: Hooters Girls Love Attention

Some believe that by virtue of our job, Hooters Girls love attention in any way, shape or form. We really don’t. Sometimes, I walk into work and don’t want to talk to anyone, but as a Hooters Girl, I am paid to play a role and provide a service. Nobody wants a server who is “in her feelings,” and so sometimes we have to suppress whatever we are dealing with personally when we are at work. The job needs to get done and we are being counted on by the company to perform to the highest expectations. We are not particularly fond of customers who feel that they can flirt with us or make inappropriate comments. We are here to provide you with a good meal, a flow of quality drinks, and friendly service (See Myth 1). We have had customers think they could touch girls. Those customers are asked to leave and in some cases, are reported to the police. Some regulars bring us little gifts (coffee) and say kind things, which is nice because it is heartfelt, but rest assured, our company is very good at supporting us. Customers who chose not to treat us with respect can dine elsewhere.

Myth 4: Hooters Girls are Not Educated

While the idea of attractive, friendly, and smart ladies may be uncomfortable for some, Hooters Girls often represent all three characteristics. There are about 25 girls on staff at my restaurant. All but a hand-full are enrolled in college classes and pursuing their degrees. While we work in a college town, Hooters is very supportive of their employees’ efforts to earn degrees through higher education. In fact, anyone who has been employed for more than 6 months can apply for tuition reimbursement. The amount paid out is dependent upon the grades earned and the hours worked, but the culture of Hooters is one which promoted advancement and education.

Myth 5: Our Families Don’t Approve of Our Decision to Work at Hooters

Surprisingly, during one shift I was standing at the hostess stand and a lady walked in and asked if her “…kids were allowed to come in so she could pick up her to-go order.” Hooters is actually a family oriented restaurant. I sing for little kids having birthday parties almost every shift. Families are encouraged to come in and enjoy a meal - even our own! I love meeting fellow “Hootie” parents.

Please bring your families, I promise its just like any other wing place, expect the girls are prettier and the service is top-notch! Before I knew any better, this myth actually caused me to second-guess the opportunity I was given to work for Hooters. I was a bit hesitant to go to the job interview, but my late grandmother actually talked me into it and I am happy she did. To be a Hooters Girls is to be in a sorority of sorts. A unique pride and kinship develops between women who have similar experiences and who work unusual hours. We often spend holidays, birthdays, and school breaks with each other in a town that becomes completely empty certain times in the year. My family is proud of the fact that I have demonstrated a strong work ethic, held down a stable job during my academic pursuits, and that I have learned to use my voice.