Honoring My Dad

Honoring My Dad

To my hero: the man who inspires, encourages, and protects me.

26
Honoring My Dad
Laurie Stuckey

In honor of Father's Day, and specifically in honor of the dad I have been so blessed with, here are just a few of the many things I appreciate about my dad.

1. His deeply-rooted faith

My dad's relationship with Jesus is no secret. You see and hear his faith in the decisions he makes, the way he treats people, and in the way he lives his life. The first thing you'll notice about my dad is that he emanates such a light of joy, the source, undoubtedly, being the Lord!

2. His sense of humor

Even if you've only been around my dad for a fraction of a second, you know that humor is strong with this one! My dad can always make me laugh, even if I'm having the most horrible of days. He loves making peoples' days brighter by blessing them with his unique and perfected art of humor.

3. His hard work

My dad puts in a lot of work week in and week out. He does everything to the best of his ability, in no way looking for short cuts. He places great value on the work he does, and this has been such an example for me! He is a great provider for our family.

4. His positive thinking

My dad is one of the most positive people I know. Just like his dad, you would never, ever hear him degrade someone. He finds the best in people and tries to understand where they're coming from. Similarly, if I'm faced with a situation that I am worried or upset about, it's always my dad and his positive thinking reassuring me that everything is going to work out! (And he's always right!)

5. His endless support

My dad worked tirelessly to make sure he was able to attend all my events that he could. He has always made my concerts, competitions, and ceremonies a priority. I can always be sure to see his smiling face out in the audience, and it always makes me feel so supported and loved! His reassurance and faith in me, like I said before, when I'm unsure of myself is always the boost I need!

6. His welcoming ability

My dad is, again, just like my grandpa, in that he has an incredible ability to make people feel welcome. My dad doesn't simply acknowledge your presence; he comes over and strikes up a conversation with you! My dad has a deep desire to make people feel accepted and loved, whether he's known you for years or for just a minute. He puts new people at ease and makes them want to keep coming back.

7. His fierce loyalty

This goes even further than just his dedicated following of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. :) My dad is not one to suddenly "switch teams." He sticks by the people he loves: family and friends alike. Even if you have messed up, he's not going to hold a grudge or walk away. When he commits to a person or a ministry or a responsibility, he is all in and will protect with his life.

8. His passion for music

My dad is one of the biggest reasons why I have been so plugged in to music. He is a music fanatic and has awesome knowledge about how music can be experienced best! My dad and I are alike in that we appreciate and tend to focus more on the instrumentation of a song over the lyrics. We value the lyrics of course, but we get hooked on a great guitar riff or a catchy melody. This is why we love Coldplay so much!

9. His admirable selflessness

My dad is a very compassionate individual. He goes the extra mile to help someone in need. He has always been a very active volunteer in many areas of our church. He is not paid for any of these things, yet I have seen him work so extremely hard on making events and ministries the best the can be. His motivating factor? Seeing people come to Christ.

10. His strong love

I could not ask for a better dad. He teaches and guides me, encourages and challenges me, and comforts and protects me. There are times when I am the most unlovable person, yet he still loves me with all he has in him. He is a godly role model in my life, and I love him with all I have in me.