In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month

8

Dear Cancer Survivor,

It seems like just yesterday I was sitting on your bed when you first felt a lump. I remember seeing the fear in your eyes, followed by the words, "Everything is going to be okay." You stayed so strong and so optimistic, ensuring me that the lump was nothing, while fear filled your body and crept into mine.

Days later, you told me that our worst nightmare had come true; you had cancer. Still, you fought through the tears in your eyes and put a smile on your face, telling me that it was going to be okay. When you told your closest friends and family that you had cancer, you were afraid. You didn't want sympathy, you didn't want them to hurt, and you didn't want anyone to be afraid.

When your doctor called and you found out you needed to have chemotherapy to shrink the tumor, you wept. You knew that cancer was deadly, and you saw how chemotherapy impacted peoples lives and their families. But still, you believed that everything was going to be okay. Weeks later, you woke up and found your hair on your pillow. You didn't cry though, at least not to me. You picked it up, laughed, and said we would go to the hair salon that day to get a mohawk. After that, you ordered wigs. Some were fun, and some were too much like your real hair, so you stopped wearing them. You had hats in every color, every style, and you were so embarrassed when you left the house without wearing your hat.

When you went to chemotherapy, you played a game. You envisioned pac-man coming into your body and eating away your tumor every time the IV dripped. You sat for hours, quietly and prayed with God that your body would stay strong through the chemotherapy.

A week after your bi-weekly treatments, you became very weak. You couldn't get out of bed anymore and you were hospitalized for dehydration. You didn't have an appetite. You even said chocolate didn't taste good anymore. But still, you knew everything was going to be okay.

After your surgery, you didn't feel like you. A double mastectomy and implants were not the 'you' you were used to seeing. You were in a lot of pain and couldn't raise your arms for months. You hurt, both inside and out.

But everything is going to be okay.

You are gracious and compassionate. You inspire so many and you are a warrior. You overcame the disease, and are filled with strength and love.

With all my love,

Your Biggest Fan