Stop Turning Conversations Into Arguments, Honest Listening Can Go A Long Way

Honest listening can go a long way; never mind just walking out of a room or putting in the ear buds. It's called being gracious.

9

This year, everyone I know has had their two cents to put in about what has happened and what will happen. It's a huge clamor of excitement, anxiety, anger, frustration, depression and straight up boredom.

The last few months have weathered many people, for better or worse. There is so much to comment on and discuss, but I often feel that no one is taking the time to listen to others. It is quite addicting to say what is on your mind when you are with a caring friend that will stop what they are doing and take the time to listen to you.

However, I often feel guilty when I am the only one stating my own problems.

I want to feel gracious and kind to others because they also may be going through a rough time. The act of giving your whole attention to someone and just not saying anything gives the other person a sense of security. Of course, being on your phone while someone is talking or just leaving the room gives off just the opposite effect.

In my own family, it is difficult to sharpen our listening skills as well as be patient with one another. Often, one person has to seize the ear because they believe they have something of importance to say or just repeat themselves like a broken record to get a point across. These kinds of conversations are usually one sided or tense. One person may be tentatively engaged while everyone else is in their own world.

Admittedly, I just leave the room or remain silent as I scroll through my phone not really listening to the conversation.

Don't be me!

I understand that being with family makes people act differently, but people are creatures of habit and families are the source of who they are. Speaking for myself, I know that I need to self-accept myself to be patient and listen politely to my boisterous family. Otherwise, how will I learn to be patient and kind to others that need my help?

Being gracious and kind to others is needed more than ever now, and whatever future is forged of others, people can be there for one another.