The Homer Simpson Effect : The Glorification of Dumb

Knowledge is (true) power; those who think outside the box are the achievers and doers of society.

270
Jihane Rodriguez

The Homer Simpson Effect seems to be affecting America down to its core. And no, I am not referring to the actual medical condition known as "Homer Simpson Effect". Yes, the medical term was given this name in honor of the Fox network character, Homer Simpson. Homer once told Marge, "Every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain." That is the medical condition.

But no, I am referring to the vast quantity of uneducated, lazy, unmotivated people who seem happy with just "being entertained" in front of the TV - or laptop or cell phone, any screen really - with little or no motivation to create new ideas, built new dreams and grow as individuals. That is the kind of Homer Effect I am referring to. The couch potatoes happily sitting in front of the screen consuming media and junk food, burping loud (and being proud) hands down their pants, brain eternally on pause. How has a nation that has achieved so much throughout the years has managed to produce so many individuals who glorify this lifestyle?

The Homers of America stay in mediocre jobs they hate, usually at minimum wage, and usually as a consequence of their lack of education* or personal ambition. They don't read books (or God forbid, the newspaper!) They have zero knowledge about international affairs and have absolutely no idea about geography. I was once asked if Venezuela was in Africa - say no more.

Are they victims of a society that pushes individuality and promotes competition? Culturally speaking there are two major characteristics that describe American culture. One is the individualistic nature of their societies, and the other is the competition that this creates. Some suggest that the whole "we are all winners" mentality has disabled newer generations. It has given them the false knowledge of achievement even when achievement is not obtained. It has created the illusion of winning. Can this be the culprit of the Homer Simpson Effect?

What ever happened to incentives to promote education, and to reading, expanding the mind, creating and discovering in this country? Does America purposely encourage stupidity?

Knowledge is (true) power; those who think outside the box are the achievers and doers of society. But just thinking doesn't cut it. Action speaks louder than words. Ignorance is bliss in that people fail to acknowledge anything that falls outside their base.

"Real education and real brainpower are hard to build, which is why so many people simply avoid it. Would you expect these people to glorify those who chose the hard route? No, they would rather praise the fool for this is where they are comfortable the most." Ashley Fern.

Wake up America. Let's stop glorifying stupidity, let's invest in more documentaries, DYI, Farming and Technology TV shows. Let's step way from the zombification of minds with apps such as the Pokemon Go and instead work hard toward actually achieving something.

We don't need more Homer Simpsons.

*Before you tell me not everyone can afford higher education, let me tell you "where there is a will there is a way." There are hundreds of ways to get scholarships and sponsorships to complete an array of degrees.

see more at https://www.scholarships.com