Homecoming At Central

Homecoming At Central

Lighting the Broncho Within

48
Homecoming At Central
Audrey Stine

Homecoming. It's the time of year that everyone celebrates their university and goes all out for the week leading up to the Homecoming game and parade. For those of us in a sorority (or fraternity) it's an entirely different beast. Those fancy floats you see, those are the product of many sleepless nights, blood, sweat, tears, and an even wider range of emotions. Homecoming is such an exciting, yet bittersweet time for those who will be graduating. This year one of our lovely lambs, Katie Willeford, is repping Phi Lamb as a Homecoming Queen Candidate #Willefordforthewin. This year Katie isn't only our candidate but is also one of our two Homecoming Chairs. Katie and Audrey have both put in so much time and work for Homecoming and being able to see their dreams and ideas come to life was amazing.

Our gorgeous Homecoming chairs Audrey Thomas and Katie Willeford!

For larger universities, like OSU or OU, Homecoming preparations begin in August. But for smaller universities like UCO, where I go to school, we typically begin prepping in late September/early October. There is so much more to Homecoming than meets the eye.It isn't just floats, there are brag boards--giant plywood signs detailing an organization's history and achievements on campus, phrigs-- which are basically plain topsheets that have been painted with designs and saying such as "Phi Lamb loves UCO Football" or other things like that. The phrigs, brag boards, and floats all take time, energy, and lots of creativity because who wants to have the same design as another sorority? And then there are your competitions.

This year we our brag board design was something totally unexpected but it turned out so incredibly well!

The Brag Board!

Some of the Homecoming competitions and activities at UCO include dodgeball (we won 1st place last year :) and 3rd this year), and Day of Service (we got to help decorate campus again this year and place the Blue, Gold, and White flags at Broncho Lake).

Our window design for Dec the Campus at the Edmond Sun

There is also Dec the campus, the Homecoming 5K, which is kinda fun but also kinda torture if you don't regularly walk or run, Tug of War (we took 2nd!), The Bonfire, Cheer and Dance, and last but certainly not least, the parade and the homecoming game to wrap things up.

Our Tug-of-War team, Dodgeball team, and Day of Service Group!

Cheer and Dance is a totally different animal than the float. The girls who do C&D work from 9pm-2am every night up until the night of the event. Injuries are pretty common, some severe some not severe. Last year, Lexi, one of the girls who did C&D fell and got a really nasty concussion. Luckily, she ended up being okay even though she couldn't participate. On Thursday night, our C&D team had their final showing and practice before Friday's competition. I am so glad that I got to see our routine at Thursday night's showing since I am unable to attend the actual competition. Phi Lamb girls, I am so incredibly proud of all the work you put into our routine this year and I can't wait to see next year's! At this year's competition, Phi Lamb ended up not placing at all. Despite not placing, our girls did amazing!!!

Normally after cheer and dance everyone heads over to the designated pomping location and pulls an all night pomping session, but this year we didn't announce to everyone that we would be pulling an all nighter. Instead Audrey contacted a few of us that she trusted and knew would get things done rather than telling 100 people who some would show and do nothing. Last year we pomped the float until 7:30 am the day of the parade! The night/morning of the parade I was at Audrey's house until 3 am and didn't get home until 3:30 only to not actually fall asleep until like 4 only to turn around and get up at 6:45 to go back to work on the float. Even though I was exhausted and still am, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

Saturday was the big day! This year I got the chance to walk in the parade with the float, a privilege, that in Phi Lamb, is typically "reserved" for those who put in a lot of time and effort for the float.

YES. Homecoming is stressful and tiring, but if you are paired with amazing Frats or other Sororities (shout out to Sigma Nu and TKE!) it will go smoother. Homecoming is a time to enjoy and make memories.