4 Tips For Having An Adventurous Summer When You're A Homebody

As told by a wanderlust soul trapped in a hopeless homebody’s body.

123
Felix Russell-Saw

Do you want to try new restaurants around town but first check to see if they are on Uber Eats? When you absolutely have to go out for some kind of occasion, do you spend way too much time trying to find any kind of real pants? When someone says “FOMO,” do you have to quickly Google search it because you really don’t have a fear of missing out? Do you find yourself only leaving the house when the WiFi isn’t working? If you answered yes to at least one of these four questions, you are definitely a homebody.

By definition, a homebody is someone who likes to stay at home. You would assume that someone who would prefer to spend most of their time at home would be unadventurous, but that can be the furthest thing from the truth.

The second I leave the house, my first thought is how badly I wish I were already back home. Whether it be the comfort and sanctuary of being home or the lack of effort required by being there, being someone who prefers to stay home doesn’t mean I lack the desire to experience new things…It just means that it takes more on my part to actually get to doing them.

Here are some tips for breaking the homebody mold.

1. Plan and commit to things, and immediately start mentally preparing.

OK, so say you want to go on a vacation or even just to see something locally. Once the trip or outing is somewhat structured, which in my case means that I have verbally announced the idea to someone, start mentally preparing. Make a list or mental note of the benefits of going. Is this something that you’ve wanted to do for a while, but haven’t done? Is this something that you won’t be able to do at a later time? If yes, make it a point to commit.

2. Rely on spontaneity and people around you to encourage it.

Although it sounds contradictive, being spontaneous can be just as rewarding and successful as planning and committing to things. Although I don’t have a spontaneous bone in my body, I rely on my friends to essentially drag me, or bribe me, out to experience new things.

Whether it be going to check out a new restaurant around town or taking a day trip to the springs, having a small window to get yourself together, but not enough time to think about it and bail, is key.

3. Set yourself up for success.

If you’re anything like me, having furry companions at home is how you stay sane. When I plan something where I know I won’t be home, before I even make a hotel reservation or commit to anything, I ensure the pups will have a place to stay. If the dog boarding place doesn’t have availability, I have a few more places and people I call, but I also have a short list of people I can call if I need last minute help with pet-sitting.

Another key thing I’ve learned over the years is to have a list of the essentials that I know I need to pack. Hopefully we’ll all remember things like our toothbrush, but with a short list, that includes things like a toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, X amount of pants/tops/outfits, medication, etc. – it is less overwhelming when push comes to shove and you find yourself packing a bag.

4. Understand your limits and the kinds of adventures you’re truly capable of.

I know very well that I’m not the most outdoorsy person. I’d love to go camping and live off the land for a few days, but at this point in my life, I know that it not something I’m capable of doing. I also know I don’t sleep well on other people’s couches and, as a student trying to finish her degree, I definitely don’t do well without internet access. With these understood limitations, I know better than to put myself in these kinds of situations.

With all of this said, if there is one thing you should take from this article, it’s understanding that homebodies don’t always lack the desire to be adventurous, but that homebodies can have adventures and prepare for adventures in much different ways that work for them.