What's So Good About Good Friday?

What's So Good About Good Friday?

What Good Friday means for us.

3584
What's So Good About Good Friday?
Fall River Chapel

Good Friday has come and gone. But I always take time to reflect on what happened thousands of years ago—the day that Jesus died for us. It is indeed a good day. It is good what Jesus did for us. But oh, what suffering he had to go through! I think Jesus probably did not feel like it was a good Friday.

Imagine, awaiting your death and knowing was coming, and how painful it would be. Imagine knowing that your father would be turning his back on you—being completely and utterly alone. Jesus pleaded with his Father for some other way to carry out what needed to be done. To some, this may sound like Jesus was weak—I think it demonstrates to us that even though Jesus is fully God, he was also human. What human willingly volunteers to suffer extreme pain? What human wants to be completely and utterly alone?

The night before Jesus was crucified, he sat in the garden of Gethsemane with his disciples. He wanted the company of his disciples because he wanted them to pray with him, but instead they fell asleep. If I had been there, I would want to pray with Jesus and stay by his side. I would like to offer Jesus some form of comfort, offering my company and friendship. I would like to say that if I were with Jesus, I would help him. But the truth is, I would be no better than his disciples. They were distressed and worn out with emotion. I know I would not have been able to handle the extremely emotional night—the fear, the dreadful worry and the ache of loneliness. Yes, I would like to say that I would help to comfort Jesus, but I would only worry.

How did Jesus make it through such a terrible night? The only answer is that he is God, therefore he can do anything. I don’t know how Jesus had the strength to go to the cross and go through with it. He could have ran away. He could have found another way to accomplish what he needed to do—God can do anything! But, he didn’t.

If I were with Jesus that day, I most likely would have ran away, afraid of soldiers arresting me. I probably would have hid like a coward, and I know that I could not have watched Jesus’ crucifixion. It makes me sound like a terrible Christian to say these things—but there is no hiding from the truth—I would have failed. Any of us would have failed as the disciples failed to keep Jesus company that night. Fear would have trickled down our spines as we saw Jesus’ hands and feet being nailed to a cross. Just as fear drove Peter to deny Christ three times the next day or caused Thomas to doubt Christ’s resurrection.

It’s amazing to think that Jesus knew the outcome of his pain and suffering—his reasoning was to save us all, but some of us have rejected this precious gift. We often forget his great sacrifice. We forget his deep love. But that’s what Easter is all about! Jesus gave it all so that we could have it all, and he did it despite the pain and suffering that he went through. He was rejected by his own Father, but he did it anyway. So take time to reflect on the significance of Good Friday, remember the reason why it is good!