The Funny Thing About Celebrating Holidays In College

St. Patricks Day in February? Sure, why not.

175
Ranker.com

In college, celebrating holidays is a must-do for students. From Halloween to Valentine’s Day, there are too many holiday parties to count on just one hand. On top of just celebrating the holiday itself, costumes and party props are typically always required. It could be the middle of February and a fraternity’s date party might be Christmas themed, which is still totally acceptable.

While some holidays are more popular in certain parts of the country, there are also some holidays that are more popular on college campuses, especially Halloween and St. Patrick’s Day. Don’t get me wrong, all holidays are important and properly celebrated, but these few are the ones that students typically go crazy for. The special part about the holidays is that they can begin to be celebrated at literally any time of the year and during any time of the day. Oh, you want to go to a St. Patty’s Day party on March 1? Sure, it is never too early to start. Are we starting to drink green beer in our apartment in February? Of course we are.

When it comes to celebrating Halloween in college, more than one costume is completely necessary. Sometimes, one person may wear up to four in just one Thursday through Sunday weekend of celebration. One night a girl may be a Victoria's Secret Angel and the next night she might just be a preacher’s daughter; there are more than enough variations of costumes to go around. Some costumes are way less original than others, especially dressing up as M&M’s, a devil and an angel, and good ol’ Donald Trump. My favorite duo costume from this past year was definitely the mom and dad combination. It was too amazing. The more creative you are, the better. If you don’t want to have to plan more than one costume, then just re-wear that same costume all weekend because no one will probably even notice.

While Halloween is all about the wardrobe, St. Patrick’s Day is all about the booze, specifically the green beer that can be found at basically any popular bar in the college town area. The only downside to this holiday specialty is that you might end up with a green tongue for a couple days, so make sure you are aware of that. On the bright side, this holiday calls for getting stupid drunk off liters of beer, but sadly this only ends up leaving you with a major headache hangover the next day (but not worse than vodka) and a rather large beer belly to deal with at a much later time.

Celebrating holidays in college leads to memorable experiences for many people, but probably not for those people those that can’t actually remember them. While some holidays may come and go quickly year after year, other holidays such as Halloween and St. Patrick’s day will live on for the whole 365 days a year without any sort of judgment from fellow students. Cheers to college and cheers to themed holiday parties.