The Holiday Season Isn't So Wonderful For Everyone And That's OK

Sometimes the holidays can cause more harm than good for people.
35

For many, the holiday season period that typically ranges from November up until January is probably one of best times of the year because it is filled with so much joy and happiness. I mean, how could you not be happy stuffing your face with turkey in November for Thanksgiving, and follow that with opening presents and spending time with your loved ones in December, and then end it by ringing in the new year?

However, the holidays aren't all fun and games for everyone. Especially those who suffer from seasonal depression, or any other mental illness that the symptoms may be more present during this time of year. It may also be difficult for people to get through the holiday season because they have experienced a recent loss in the family, so these feelings are more present. It will always be a challenge getting through these times without those you love and used to spend the occasion with.

Coping with the loss of someone we love is never easy, and the holiday season can increase these emotions. It isn't the same without those people in our lives, but it gets easier with time. You might not get over it completely, and that's perfectly okay because they will always have a place in your heart.

But in the midst of everything, it is important to cherish the good memories you spent together because you will never forget those happy days. Those loved ones that are no longer a part of your life have left their mark on yours, so embrace it and be thankful.

I know for me personally it isn't always easy celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas since my grandpa has passed away, but I remember that I am not alone in this. I have my family to support me and I have all the great memories of spending previous holidays with my grandpa and that makes me smile. I don't think it will ever be easy for me or my family to get through the holidays without him in our lives, but we just have to make the most of it and use it as a time to honor my grandpa's life because that is what he would want.

On the other hand, there are some people who struggle with seasonal depression and PTSD during these winter months because the weather is a lot colder and there is a lack on sunshine, so their symptoms are heightened and therefore it makes it strenuous for them to get through the holidays in a positive way.

No matter what the situation is, the most wonderful time of year isn't always so wonderful for everyone and it is important for people to understand that. Instead of criticizing these people for not being happier and embracing the season, we should offer support when it is needed and lend a helping hand. Showing that you care could be the greatest gift of all for some people who are truly struggling, just keep that in mind.